Firepod Question

the edzell

Quick question. I've started using my firepod to record with. On the mics the levels are coming in really low despite the fact I have the gain and inputs turned just about all the way up. When I record line in the levels are fine.

Any tips?

What kind of mics are you using? Dynamic mics will usually require a lot more gain. That being said, the firepod pres are rated as having 60db of gain which should be plenty.

Another thing to remember is that with 24bit recording, its not necessary to have extremely hot levels coming into your converters. You should be able to get that signal up pretty well in Cubase, if you get a good clean recording in.

I actually have the reverse problem. That and my firepod's a jerk. But when it was working my line ins are a bit quieter than my pres. My pres are plently loud.

Jburn34 said:
What kind of mics are you using? Dynamic mics will usually require a lot more gain. That being said, the firepod pres are rated as having 60db of gain which should be plenty.

Another thing to remember is that with 24bit recording, its not necessary to have extremely hot levels coming into your converters. You should be able to get that signal up pretty well in Cubase, if you get a good clean recording in.

Both Condensers and Dynamic mics. I've been able to bring up the levels (I'm still using A.A. 1.5 instead of the cubase they sent) but for some reason I can't monitor them. Well I'll just keep hitting it tonight and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks.

just making sure...

make sure you have your mix knob set all the way left if you'd like to monitor the signal coming into the firepod. turning it all the way right gives you the output from your recording program.

Additionally... it's really hard to get a good hearable monitor signal from the preamps without using the Monitor input button in whatever program you are using. If you use that button you'll hear all your effects and shizzle and it should help you out... especially if you're compressing the signal.

lemerlisP said:
just making sure...

make sure you have your mix knob set all the way left if you'd like to monitor the signal coming into the firepod. turning it all the way right gives you the output from your recording program.

I see, thanks for the heads up. The manual they sent really was detailed IMO.

Back