Firepod pre's

Jeazii

Newby here. I was curious as to everyones opinion on the quality of the preamps in the firepod. I think I would like to add 2 channels of outboard pres. How much money would I have to spend to hear a noticeable difference? The pre would be for vocals and kick drum. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

the firepods pre's aren't that amazing but very useable. A dmp3 would be a step up for $170 and works okay on most things. A Groove Tubes brick for $400 is awesome on vocals, Bass and synth DI but only 1 channel, most likely not too great on kick but I haven't tried it. These are all pres that I own and use with my firepod. How much can you afford for outboard pres?

I am in the market for 2 outboard pres, but i need them to somehow have spidf out so i can use all 10 tracks. I was lookin at the ART pres. I dont wana spend more than lets say 350!

I also own a FIREPOD and i was wondering how would you be able to use different mic pres with it? I guess my question is if you use the outboard pres would you output that signal into a FIREPOD input on the front?

source > input of outboard pres then out > front input (line level) > computer

is this how it would go?

I have the Presonus Firebox which I think has the same pres...I think they are very clean and nice. Only thing with mine is that I have to turn the gain up a fair way for my cad177 mic to achieve 'unity'. I was expecting a little more sensitivity

Monkey Allen said:
I have the Presonus Firebox which I think has the same pres...I think they are very clean and nice. Only thing with mine is that I have to turn the gain up a fair way for my cad177 mic to achieve 'unity'. I was expecting a little more sensitivity

The Firebox preamps aren't the same, they have about 15db less gain than the Firepod as well.

War

Does anybody know if the Firepod has the same preamps as the ones that are in the MP20? I've been assuming they're the same, but I don't know for sure.

Brad

The firepod has pres on all 8 channels. You are supposed to use the line input on the back of 1 & 2 (bypasses the built in pre) for outboard pres. It kind of sucks because you only have 2 channels to work with. I don't know what would happen if you used an outboard pre through channels 3-8. Mic pre-micpre? Anyone know if that works?

Channels 3-8 XLR or Line in... so I guess from any line-level output you are able to connect it to these line-level inputs. So, that gives you room for using 8 different preamps instead of the Firepod's (chan1, 2 through inserts).

Correct me if I'm wrong please... :o

i like the firepods pre-s. i dont think the dmp3 is a step up as much as sideways.spend your money on better mics or monitors for now.

Back