Firepod pres

crazyjman

What's the general opinion of the preamps on the firepod? I've been thinking of picking one up and I don't know if I should also get an external preamp as well.

I like them a lot.

I the best setup I had been using was an M-Audio DMP-3 into an M-audio delta44 card. The firepod is a noticeable step up from that setup. I don't know whether the pre's in the firepod are better, or the A/D conversion is better, but it was a step up.

If you want to hear it in action, go here. Everything that plays in that player was recorded through my FirePod. Electric guitars and bass were direct, acoustic and vocals were mic'd. Drums are loops.

I'll just add also that I love my firepod. The simple layout and the controls on the face of the box are perfect, for what I do, anyway. The "mix" knob (mixes your inputs with the playback levels) is invaluable to me now. I don't know how I'd go on without it.

That's good to know considering the firepod is already $600. I'm eager to try it out. I'll check out the tunes after as I can't at work (they frown upon that for some reason)
Thanks for the input

crazyjman said:
That's good to know considering the firepod is already $600. I'm eager to try it out. I'll check out the tunes after as I can't at work (they frown upon that for some reason)
Thanks for the input

No problem. I think the firepod is a serious bang for the buck at 600. You can hardly get an 8 channel mic pre for 600, not to mention a firewire recording device.

I agree. Its a good choice to start out with.

I need the expandability and ability to use seperate preamps, so I am now looking at the fireface, which is quite a step up in $$$, unfortunately.

BJW said:
I like them a lot.

I the best setup I had been using was an M-Audio DMP-3 into an M-audio delta44 card. The firepod is a noticeable step up from that setup. I don't know whether the pre's in the firepod are better, or the A/D conversion is better, but it was a step up.

If you want to hear it in action, go here. Everything that plays in that player was recorded through my FirePod. Electric guitars and bass were direct, acoustic and vocals were mic'd. Drums are loops.

I'll just add also that I love my firepod. The simple layout and the controls on the face of the box are perfect, for what I do, anyway. The "mix" knob (mixes your inputs with the playback levels) is invaluable to me now. I don't know how I'd go on without it.

the dmp3's preamps a lot better than the firepods pre's IMO. I'm guessing it's the conversion you're hearing.

Back