Firepod owners discussion thread!

Is the Firepod for me?

Hi Guys. I see you love your Firepods. I have a few questions. I want to use outboard compressor and Effects. I have heard that you cannot do this with the Firebox or Firepod and that you have to use Software monitoring. Is trhis true? Can I use the Firebox Pres, and after it send the signal into an RNC compressor and then to an effects unit and then back to the Firebox with with no latency? If not, then it simply won't be for me. I need hardware monitoring with no latency and the ability to use my TC M300 and rNC. is this possible? If not, how can you guys love this box so much if you are basically limited to latency when using outboard effects?

Jeff

most people with firepods wouldn't use outboard effects. However, there is a simple answer to your problem on the firepod. A nob on the front of the board crossfades between the "mix" signal (which is the delayed signal coming from the computer) and the monitoring signal with NO latency. I think that is all you need to solve your problem.

The only small difficulty is if you're running 2 or 3 firepods at once, then you have to connect the out puts from each firepod into your monitoring hardware. (i'm unaware of how many stereo inputs you have, so just keep that in mind)

Hubbawho said:
most people with firepods wouldn't use outboard effects.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------]

Why not? They don't like outboard units like the RNC and TC reverbs? This is a HUGE drawback on the unit, and I am stunned that Presonus didn't put a couple inserts on this thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
However, there is a simple answer to your problem on the firepod. A nob on the front of the board crossfades between the "mix" signal (which is the delayed signal coming from the computer) and the monitoring signal with NO latency. I think that is all you need to solve your problem.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, can you explain this in more detail? Are you saying I have to run in to the computer, then back out (extra digital coversion), then to a compressor, then back in again? Please explain in detail what you me

The FirePod does have 2 effects sends..
Haven't tested them but it'll work great.

Here's a song i've recorded with the FirePod and some basic mics.

I'm getting ready to buy the firepod, but I've growned concerned since there are as many conflicting posts if you can or can't daisy chain two together. But I'm going to check this recordings out tonight. Good thread.

Also, once recorded, can you reroute say any two of 8 tracks recorded back through the firepod to apply effects? I don't want to put anything down on tracking, but would like to go back and run some outboard experiments.

Cas said:
The FirePod does have 2 effects sends..
Haven't tested them but it'll work great.

Here's a song i've recorded with the FirePod and some basic mics.

'
Damn, more confusion. Can you explain more about these "effects sends"? How come I haven't heard of them. Do they send out before the signal goes to the computer, or does the signal have to go through the computer first? Someone pelase explain the possibilities of using outboard compressors and effects while using the Firepod (or Firebox, which is just a four channel version, right?) I would go for the Firebox because I wouldn't need 8 pres, and the extra money would go for other things. I need to make a decision in the next couple of days. Using my outboard compressor and effects unit is a must. I just want to make sure this can be done without latency and without a bunch of AD/DA conversions. please someone, explain this unit. It's like even in Presonuses descriptions they are vague and I don't understand what is possible with routing on this thing.

Please help.

Jeff

The reason why there aren't more users, are because other interfaces sound better, in the same price catagory.

The E-Mu 1820M is $400 now, when you search Froogle, and sounds better.

yeah i'm wondering about the possibility of using outboard gear with my firepod also. would it be possible to take a recorded track, then run it into an outboard compressor or something, and then have it saved to the hard disk? or would the AD/DA/AD conversion really hurt the sound? i've always wanted to get a Distressor...or should i just go with a compressor like the UAD-1 ultra pak?

From the FirePod Manual
The FIREPOD features ¼” TRS balanced Send and Return jacks on
Channels 1 and 2. These jacks are labeled as Preamp Output (SEND) and Line Input (Return). These
connectors will accept either balanced (TRS – Tip Ring Sleeve) ¼” cables or unbalanced TS (Tip Sleeve)
¼” cables. These connectors allow the use of external processors such as reverbs, de-essers, limiters,
EQ’s, etc. Simply connect the Preamp Output jack, balanced or unbalanced to the input of the external
processor. Then connect the FIREPOD’s Line Input jack to the output of the external processor. The signal
is now routed out of the FIREPOD, into the external processor, then back into the FIREPOD. The final,
processed signal will be available to record now.

jeff0633 said:
'
Do they send out before the signal goes to the computer, or does the signal have to go through the computer first?

Yes, you have to rout it from your hostsoftware to the designated output

Beautiful. Thanks for clearing that up. Alot of people were saying just to use VST's and all that, but in all honesty, nothing beats running tracks to outboard gear. Now if we could only get a deffinitive answer as to if it is at ALL possible to link two together for the 16 pre's.

Cas said:
Yes, you have to rout it from your hostsoftware to the designated output

Damn, still mixed up. Your first post suggest that the manual says that you can route to the external effects BEFORE THE SIGNAL GOES TO THE COMPUTER!!! Then, you quote me and answer saying that IT DOES HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE COMPUTER FIRST TO BE ROUTED BY THE SOFTWARE, WHICH MEANS LATENCY AND EXTRA DIGITAL CONVERSIONS.

Your first post about the manual seems to hint that the signal is taken from the preamp out BEFORE IT GOES TO THE SOFTWARE, which would mean no latency and no extra digital conversions, then you next post says it must go through the software (meaning extra digital conversions) Which is it?

Jeff

AllOrNothinEnt said:
The reason why there aren't more users, are because other interfaces sound better, in the same price catagory.

The E-Mu 1820M is $400 now, when you search Froogle, and sounds better.

Have they finally got the drivers right for that thing yet? Sounding better or great is one thing, actual stable functionality of drivers is another.

I guess it depends what you're looking to do. I like having the 8 pre's which are great quaility IMO and the converters aren't bad either. Far as my ears can tell I'm hearing an open, detailed sound coming out of my Tannoy monitors.

quick lesson. If you have a firewire card with 4 ports, all 4 ports share the 400MB/s. each firewire device you add will share the bandwidth.

altiris said:
quick lesson. If you have a firewire card with 4 ports, all 4 ports share the 400MB/s. each firewire device you add will share the bandwidth.

That being said, if two firepods are splitting the 400MB/s, will it still be able to handle more than the 8in's at one time? or will it just get lots of latency? I know other interfaces that allow multiple units under the same port, and I haven't heard about bandwidth issues before, but these are things I need to concider before purchase.

Question!!!

I almost had a heart attack when I hooked up my firepod. i just got it and I'm using my laptop for recording. I installed the software and got all excited and went to plug it in... It didn't fit! I died inside.

I did some research and found that firewire comes in either 4 or 6 pin connectors. The firepod comes with a 6 pin cable but my laptop only accomodates a 4 pin. Thank goodness they have 4 to 6 pin cables.

Does anyone know of any implications when using a 4 to 6 pin cable? Is it a better idea to put a firewire card into my desktop and use that as my studio comp? I'd rather not if I don't have to though.

I'm not sure why there are 4 and 6 pin firewires, but they make adapters so I'd think they'd work properly. I'd check with Presonus support, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Enjoy the Firepod when you get it up and running - I've been having a blast with it.

The 6-pin firewire cables can be used to power external devices. The 4-wire cable cannot. It's not a problem if your device has it's own power supply, but if you had something like the new MOTU Traveller it could be an issue since it is designed (if I remember correctly) to be powered from the firewire connection.

Darryl.....

Back