Firepod inputs 1 and 2

Granada

I know this is a cubase forum, but most firepod users are use cubase so I thought I might be the right place to ask my question.

I have a firepod and I think i heard that inputs 1 and 2 have higher quality pres on them. I also know they are different than ins 2 - 8. But how are they different?

The reson I ask is they are not working properly. Input 1 is super has almost no volume. It is super low even when the gain is cranked.
And input isn't pikcing anything up at all even when the gain is cranked.

All of my other inputs work fine, is there somthing i am overlooking or does it sound like ins one and two are faulty?

Thanks for your help

I know this is a cubase forum, but most firepod users are use cubase so I thought I might be the right place to ask my question.

I have a firepod and I think i heard that inputs 1 and 2 have higher quality pres on them. I also know they are different than ins 2 - 8. But how are they different?

Uh, no, I'm pretty sure they don't. Imputs 1 and 2 are designed for instruments, or HiZ inputs, and microphones of LoZ. Basically, you can plug your guitar or bass directly into these inputs.

The reson I ask is they are not working properly. Input 1 is super has almost no volume. It is super low even when the gain is cranked.
And input isn't pikcing anything up at all even when the gain is cranked.

For this problem specifically, are you using a microphone? If so, it is probably a condenser and you need to press the phantom power button which will activate phantom power to the first four channels (there's another one below it that activates it for channels 5-8). If thats not it . . . . If you are using a guitar, keyboard or dynamic mic, then do this to eliminate your problems:
- Plug headphones into the headphone jack
- Turn the audition knob to "inputs 1-8", not mains 1&2
- Play, and if you hear something, its not the preamp

When you turn the knob to "inputs 1-8", that mean you are hearing direct monitoring straight from the preamps. I always test this first if I have to problem solve because I want to atleast know that the preamps are working and creating output. And just for clarification, when you turn the knob the other way to "mains 1-2", you are hearing what is coming back from cubase.

I tested it and whe input knob turned to inputs 1-8 cahnnel one made sound when the gain was cranked but it was very distorted and gross sounding. Channel two produced no output at all even when cranked.

Is a guitar plugged straight into channel one or 2 supposed to sound good?
And does the no output from channel two mean its broken?

What if i bought a 2 channel external mic pre and used them in channel one and two. could this be a option?

Thanks

If you plugged your guitar straight into channel 1 and 2; you should only have to turn the gain to about 8 or 9 o'clock, and it will sound fine. I always do this, and never have any problems.

And no, don't use the external pre combined with the firepod. Thats the point of having a firepod, it has mic pres'. If you do, it could blow out the preamps in the firepod because of too much gain going in . . . has that already been done? :eek:

Check one more thing, is your headphone vol knob turned up?

You need to call Presonus's technical service and they will walk you through your problem. It sounds like your pres' are dead.

I have not put a external pre through those channels but i know a guy who does, he just keeps the gain at zero.

I'm starting to believe that my pres are in fact dead. Thats why i brought up the whole external pre idea.

Well now i guess i have a 6 channel firepod, damn..

Check to see if it's still under warranty. If not, Presonus offers an $85 flat rate to fix anything with your firepod. Thats a pretty good deal if you've had your firepod for awhile and the pre's went out.

Maker sure the mix knob is turned up. Sounds stupid but when I got my Firepod I tough t was broke, then to realize I was just an idiot.

And no, don't use the external pre combined with the firepod. Thats the point of having a firepod, it has mic pres'. If you do, it could blow out the preamps in the firepod because of too much gain going in . . . has that already been done? :eek:

There are line inputs in the back for 1 and 2.

just route the line out of your ext preamp to one of the eight line ins.

Back