Fireface 800 PC/XP problems.

PapillonIrl

Please help ?!!
I'm having major teething issues with my Fireface, just received yesterday.

I'm on PC/Xp, I have the latest drivers installed, and I am having the same problem on two Pc's. I'm thinking I either have a dud unit or a dodgy firewire card. But any advice much appreciated.

The problem is, I the 'Settings...' dialog box, accessed through the RME logo on the taskbar, won't open. Nada.

Also I can't get any playback from Samplitude, Audition, or Reason. All complaining about the card not accepting the format. Possibly a symptom of the first problem.

The card is a firewire 400, Belksis I think. Newish.

I have tried the flash utility on two machines and it won't complete on either.

Help ?!?

When you say the flash utility.... Did you try and flash the Fireface's bios two times without a completion? If so, then it probably will not work until it has a full bios whether it be a newer one or an older one.

If the settings dialog box won't open when you click the icon in the taskbar, it's likely not properly detected. I have a Fireface (using it with a generic fw400 pci interface) and when it's not switched on, I see the same thing.
So my first thought as well is that it isn't a software issue, especially when it happens on two different computers. Have you used the same firewire interface in both computers? If so, see if you can swap it for different one.. They're pretty cheap nowadays..

xstatic said:
When you say the flash utility.... Did you try and flash the Fireface's bios two times without a completion? If so, then it probably will not work until it has a full bios whether it be a newer one or an older one.

I is supposed to revert back to the last BIOS upon flash failure, according to RME anyway.

Cheers,

Nathan

christiaan said:
If the settings dialog box won't open when you click the icon in the taskbar, it's likely not properly detected. I have a Fireface (using it with a generic fw400 pci interface) and when it's not switched on, I see the same thing.
So my first thought as well is that it isn't a software issue, especially when it happens on two different computers. Have you used the same firewire interface in both computers? If so, see if you can swap it for different one.. They're pretty cheap nowadays..

Yeah, that's what I thought... but it is showing up in device manager... but you're right, the firewire card seems like the most likely culprit.

Nathan

Dodgy cable !!!

It seems RME shipped some units with a dodgy cable, good enough to install, but mot good enough for proper communication. Heads up !

I'm gonna start a thread on this to save people some time, if they find themselves in a similar situation.

Nathan

No, I should have made that clear actually. I got it from a discussion on the RME-Audio forum, as well as noticing quite a few posts detailing similar problems that were resolved by replacing the cable.

Nathan

Good enough. I just wondered whether this was something that RME has addressed or not. I did believe you:D

I am using my Fireface with a Lacie FW800 card. I got the card because RME specifically recommended it after their card testing - I'd go to RME's site and see what cards they recommend.

Back