Firebox, DMP3, NT1a combo?

velvetcrush

Hey guys, first post here. I've been working in studios for a few years and have decided to put together a small home studio just to record the songs i've got. Here's what I'm thinking - I would appreciate input on changes that should be made. Nt1a (for vocals), into a Dmp3, into the firebox, running into cubase. I'm going for a clean sound, with big budget quality. I don't like hiss or tube noise so I've decided against the tubepre and bluetubes...also, I don't want latency, hence the firebox...otherwise, I would go with the NI kontrol 1. The mic...I'm stuck between the rode nt1a and the shure ksm27...I've got a michael hutchence/bono style voice (sound pattern wise).........any ideas...thanks.

Hi. That would give you a pretty good setup but I'd personally go for a Rane Ms-1b pre http://www.rane.com/ms1b.html . This is the cleanest pre this side of a DAV BG1. I'd also consider looking at the echo audiofire audio interfaces. These have superb converters. Finally, there are a few other mics I'd consider aswell as the Rode NT1a. I have one of these and it is good to excellent on certain voices but can be britle and harsh on others. If your budget will stretch I'd go for the Rode NT2a or NT2000 over the NT1a. Also check out the CAD M-177, Audio Technica 2020/4040 and SE Electronics SE2200a.

thanks man. I'll definitely check out the echo. I've heard from a bunch that the at2020 was a great mic, and possibly the best under $300...so maybe i'll demo one somewhere. In other studios, I've been graced with using the whole blue lineup (the baby bottle actually fit my vocals better than the blueberry or dragonfly.) Also, I really liked the way the akg 414 sounded, but its out of my budget...I bought a rode nt1000, but found it was amazing at picking up midrange and highs, but when it came to lows, it just made them to clean and not ... bassy enough.

I'd also forget the DMP3 if you only need one pre. The Rane is far superior at clean sounds! I also forgot to mention the Studio Projects B1! This is a great little mic and is incredibly cheap. It has a more rounded sound than my NT1a. They've also just upgraded the electronics in their B and C mics offering Improved sonic characteristics and increased signal to noise ratio. All of the mentioned mics are capable of excellent recordings but my pick of the bunch is the Rode NT2a/2000.

Back