finished metal tune.

reganito

I think I mastered this way too loud but I have no idea how to master. Any thoughts are appreciated.

more bass as in the instrument or the track over all? I used multiband compression and a limiter on the main buss.

I would boost the bass on the master ...best I can hear it needs a little bit of bass on the bass track and the final master...
I pick up very bass on my computer speakers....not the greatest set of speakers, but they are an average homeowner's set...

a little heavy metal thunder to please the gods of rock.
BTW it is a good metal song...congrats on the tune

thanks to everyone who replied. I can hear the notes the bass is playing but you're right, the low end is lacking. For overall bass frequencies what is a good range to boost? I'm guessing 80-200? I will remix the song when I get a chance. As for adding presence to the guitars I can totally hear what you mean. All I did was put hi-pass filters on them. I left the vocals low in the mix cause it's somewhat of a scratch track. I have a friend that can do black metal vocals and he's going to help me out when I get the track all squared away. Again, thank you all for the input!

the trick to gelling guitar and bass is to make them glue together by using subtractive eq work, for example i like my bass guitars to have a grindy tone, so i scoop the 250-500 range and pull out the super mids from it. then i boost at 100-230ish very slightly in the bass but have it high passed at 80 since my kick sweet spot is in that range, i find that guitars have a boxy cardboard sound at 500hz and i pull that down just a bit and the fizz is in 4k so i pull that out which immediately makes it sound better, then you can multiband compress the areas you like in the tone like i find the chug lowend and compress it so that i dont have an overbearing bass chug but even out with the note clarity,

Artwork: Thank you for the specific and detailed response. I will try to carve out those frequencies and see how it sounds

Not much I can add beyond what's already been said. Good guitar playing I thought.

Rhythm guitars were kind of wooly. Muffled - like the amp was in the next room.

I thought the bass was fairly rumbly and muddy.

Vocals get covered up just a bit by the guitars.

Cymbals were a little sizzly and cheap sounding.

Well, I am no expert in this genre, but it sounds pretty good to me. The guitar playing is really tight and I especially like the low, chugging growly parts starting around 2:40 with the crazy lead over it. I agree with Trip on the cymbals and the bass (which wasn't too clear for me).

I actually really liked the vocals on this. I expected more growling, cookie monster vocals, but these have a cool frenetic, almost desperate energy to them. Reminds me more of punk/hardcore vocals than metal. If it were me, I'd keep 'em. Good job.

Well, I am no expert in this genre, but it sounds pretty good to me. The guitar playing is really tight and I especially like the low, chugging growly parts starting around 2:40 with the crazy lead over it. I agree with Trip on the cymbals and the bass (which wasn't too clear for me).

I actually really liked the vocals on this. I expected more growling, cookie monster vocals, but these have a cool frenetic, almost desperate energy to them. Reminds me more of punk/hardcore vocals than metal. If it were me, I'd keep 'em. Good job.

Thank you! Getting the bass right is my main goal. I'm basing this off of Black Metal. I can't do the shriek so that's why my vocals are the way they are. I'm keeping those. The cymbals in superior drummer are a pain in the ass because they don't have faders so I have to manually draw the velocities. But it's my mission to get the low end cleaned up because i'm sick of metal with the bass mixed out. I appreciate everyone who has commented. It seems clear to me that I'm going to achieve the sound i'm looking for by using subtractive eq. I'll post another version after I do a remix.

the mix sounds a little stagnant. the guitars need to bite you in the ass. they need a little more sparkle in the high end. sounds like you could cut some of the "pillowyness" around 9-2khz. the drums definately need the most work though. i'm assuming they are programmed? every piece of the kit sounds like its in a different space. i don't dig the verb choice on the snare. maybe a smaller room. or dampen the one you have more. the kick needs more attack. the over heads need work as well. send all your drums to a buss and compress the dog shit out of it. if you have room mics turn those up. the kit needs both to breathe ( in a sense that the kit is in the same room, and has depth) as well as punch and clarity. don't be afraid to use a harmonic exciter or distortion. the vocals need work as well, but seeing how you said they were scratch tracks that shouldn't matter then. the bass is virtually gone. a big misconception in metal is people don't think the bass plays as important of a role as the gtrs. WRONG. that thing needs to sound f**kin nasty. duplicate the track compress and distort the hell out of it. roll off everything from 5k up and 85hz down. cut from like 235hz to 500hz and boost 800 to 100khz and blend it in with the original. i would also bring the bass level up quite a bit. don't be afraid to buss your guitars as well and throw a sonnox inflator or something like that on there. tube or tape emulation usually does wonders getting those guitars to cut through. oh, one more thing, i would get your bass and kick to fit together better. cut freq's in your bass where the kick sits. and roll off your kick somewhere around 30hz or maybe even a little higher in some cases. hopes thats all helpful!

The drums are pretty bad. They sound way too roomy, floppy, raw. There's no punch or attack in the kick or snare. It sounds like too much room/overhead, not enough close mic. That's not good for this style. If you're using a bottom snare mic, kill it. The kick doesn't have any chest thumping power to it. It's all boxy raw slap. Metal drums typically don't sound like this. Maybe you want an old school raw-in-the-garage sound? Ok then. That's fine, but typically metal drums don't sound like this. The rhythm guitars sound kind of thin and scratchy until the chuggo part. The bass has been discussed. I wouldn't go crazy with EQ trying to fix it. I'd track it better. I don't know, it just sounds very raw and unfinished to me. I don't know what you're going for. I just think it could be better in all aspects.

The vocal sounds like Lemmy trying to be John Lydon in German.
The verses are way too repetitious.
You've some good ideas but little inclusions like the screaming horsie guita lick really don't belong - sounds like someone is being silly with a synth on the side of the stage.
Some meat developing in the guitars so you're improving. Drums are just blah.
Sometimes the bass seems to be coming along nicely and the it disappears.

I like the performance of this piece. The mix I can't really comment on as I have no good system to listen to. :D

Look forward to hearing vocals.

Back