Fingerstyle Jammin

Jimtl

I picked up a used tele in a pawn shop for great price (really cheap) a few weeks back and it inspired something a little different for me. I ended up featuring more acoustic than tele ... but the basic lick/melody was definitely inspired by jammin' on that old tele. It's sort of an old style finger pickin' country blues jam tune although I used a flatpick on the acoustic solo. The tele was played finger style --I usually use a pick so this was a lot of fun me. I also played bass. The drums are EZ drums with quite a bit of editing and input from a midi keyboard. Please feel free to make suggestions!

Here's the mix:

Finger pickin' jam by Jim Lindley on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

dang man. i like it. well the acoustic is spot on. very woody sounding.

i'm listening on behringer 2031's.

I think you captured things very well. I would want a different snare tone, and possibly a little louder. but that is nitpicking.

what's the panning on the guitars? i can here them well, i'm just curious. how many track's to them?

this sounds really great.

sorry i couldn't complain more.

Sounds kick ass! This is right up my ally. When I finger pick, I waffle between finger picks/ no finger picks. I like the sound of "meat" on the strings but I like the attack of picks. Very well done sir.

This is a great moving song. I would go with a little more high end sizzle snare bottom sound. Everything sounds nice and natural though. I like this a lot. Id bet you and Mark Knopfler could have a good sit down.

Thanks guys! I'll see if I can tweek the snare a bit. I appreciate the tips!

Re: the Panning -- I think I ended up panning at each guitar at +/- 13 from center. One track each -- I haven't really started to experiment with more than one mic/channel.

yeah, i was going to recommend a bit more spread, or having fun with them, but hopefully doesn't sound unbalanced. but unbalanced works someetimes.

Real nice recording, groove reminds me alot of the Clapton album with "Lay down Sally" on it, tight boogie woogie, very fun listen.

BTW whats a "great price" on an old Tele. Lol. Anything real and old is usually alot 'o dough. Times are hard though, good time to check the pawn shops!

Real nice recording, groove reminds me alot of the Clapton album with "Lay down Sally" on it, tight boogie woogie, very fun listen.

BTW whats a "great price" on an old Tele. Lol. Anything real and old is usually alot 'o dough. Times are hard though, good time to check the pawn shops!

Sorry -- The tele isn't really old ... but it plays/sounds great. It's a Korean made Lite Ash w/ Seymour Duncan pickups. I also have tricked out American Deluxe w/ Fralin Pickups and a Callaham Bridge. After swapping the bridge for a Wilkinson I already had, filing/leveling a couple frets, installing CTS pots and adjusting the neck and action the guitar on my Pawnshop find, the guitar plays as well as my other Tele. It has a little more bite, but a little less volume. I bought it for $200 ... it looks almost new.

I really like it, but if you want to approach commercial, you're gonna hafta do something about that very attractive sound you got on this one. :D I'm thinking a mastering engineer would cut the lows a bit and scoop the low mids a bit. But only you can reduce the verb on the drums a touch - that's how I'd tweak it, anyway. Bring the kit into the space the guitar is in. What do you think?

Lovely tuneage. I like both the acoustic and electric parts a lot, and I would love to be able to do stuff like this. Listening to the hihat closes, I'm thinking the drums are canned. Right?

I really like it, but if you want to approach commercial, you're gonna hafta do something about that very attractive sound you got on this one. :D I'm thinking a mastering engineer would cut the lows a bit and scoop the low mids a bit. But only you can reduce the verb on the drums a touch - that's how I'd tweak it, anyway. Bring the kit into the space the guitar is in. What do you think?

Lovely tuneage. I like both the acoustic and electric parts a lot, and I would love to be able to do stuff like this. Listening to the hihat closes, I'm thinking the drums are canned. Right?

Thanks! I appreciate the mixing/mastering suggestions. I'm not sure what you meant by "Bring the kit into the space the guitar is in." Could you explain -- thanks!

The kit's got a lot more room/space/verb than the guitar, so it sounds like the drums are 'back there' and it sounds like the guitar's up at the front of the stage, so to speak. With less verb on the kit, it would bring them forward in the mix, and it would sound more like the guitar and the drums were in the same space. Considering the nature of this tune, that might sound really good, to make it sound like everything was in the same space. It's a really sweet tune and deserves to be as good as you can make it.

Thanks ... makes sense! I'm still a newbie at this and struggling with a lot of the terminology and mixing techniques. I really appreciate you (and others) taking the time to help...

I'm still a newbie at this and struggling with a lot of the terminology and mixing techniques.

This doesn't sound like the work of a newbie at all. I think you've got a really good recording here...very broad and deep with good tones. Performance is great and the mix is really good for the style. The drums are definitely back in space, and I can see the point dobro is making for sure, but it doesn't bother me a ton. I'd maybe even try to go the other way just a tad and add some of the same reverb or delay to the guitars to get them more like the drums, maybe add a little to guitars and take away a little from the drums to get them to meet in the middle? Either way, I think it would be a pretty subtle change that's needed, nothing too heavy handed.

I've listened to three mixes today in the forum, and so far it's been good listening on three for three :)

Sounds great!

Best,

Dave

SoundClick artist: Dave DeWhitt - page with MP3 music downloads

If the playing and skill is there it is easy to have that come across on tape. Even if the recording isn't great in a "know how" sense, the playing and song make up for that. What acoustic and mic are you using? It has a nice natural woody sound. I am listening on headphones and they are cheapos, but the lows in the acoustic are just a tad muddy. I personally think this whole track would sound great dry as a bone. Maybe a little verb on just the tele. In my opinion that would make it sound very natural and match the acoustics rhythm. I think id just like to hear it that way. Great song, had to let you know twice.

I like this. Didn’t know there was an update until the bottom so the new mix is a lot brighter and yeah I guess it’s all in the same room now – woo hoo.

I like the interplay between the Martin and the Tele.

I’d probably have the tele chunk-a- chunkin all thru this.

Back