Fine Print - Alt Rock

VSpaceBoy

..loading
Hey gang.. here's a new song I was working on the last two days. I'd like to take the temperature on the mix. Any feedback at all welcomed. particularly the drums. I hate drums. :o

Few things about the version:
1) Bass will be redone as its the scratch used to get the drums.
2) Vox and lead guitar licks to come.

Thanks!!!

Fine Print

Sounds good to me so far, nice dynamics in the song, stereo spread sounds good in my headphones. Is it going to be instrumental or are there vocals to follow? Yeah drums are a bitch to track for me too..... :confused:

My only nit so far, is teh drums still sound a bit boxxy...if you know what I mean. They seem to have a lot of mids, and not as much lows and highs. I don't know if eq will help much, or if you need to remix them. But they don't sound bad. I do like the bass tone, and what is played. And the guitar is pretty cool. Work on the drums some, and it might add a bit more life to the tune. It's got a bit too much mid right now.

Thanks for the feedback Tony! Yes there will be vocals added and some lead guitar.

Dog, which drums? The snare and kick, or all of them? How do the cymbals sound?

VSpaceBoy said:
Thanks for the feedback Tony! Yes there will be vocals added and some lead guitar.

Dog, which drums? The snare and kick, or all of them? How do the cymbals sound?
Well, it's just an overall impression...you might have all the sounds there, as I can make out each drum, plus the cymbals, but they just seem a bit cluttered. They seem to have a lot of sonic range, but something is cluttering up the mix. The snare seems a bit muffled.

This isn't perfect, but I tried to get the snare out there some more, and also make the cymbals ring a bit more. Fine

I think if you play with teh eq on each track individually, you will have better results than this.

thanks for the help.. I play with it some more.

wow, your version does sound better.. I'll keep at it.

Wow....I have not much to add, other than comments on Dog's findings and remix.

Just listening to the two mixes, is actually a lesson.

When I clicked on Dog's mix, the first thing that hit me, was the change in dynamics. The song jumped out and pulled me into it.

The bass, axe and drums became more defined, with their own space to shine.

Bass came to life, like a bullfrog holding the bottom end in place with confidence, while the drums gained more snap, crackle, pop.... the attack of the axe, has more driving energy to it. Amazing :D

Cymbals kept the quiet spaces alive. Awesome sound on those cymbals by the way.

Space, you have the makings of a rockin' song. Good composing and arranging. It has that fusion/jazz/rock feel to it. :cool:

I am not saying your mix sucks Space, just amazed what a little tweaking can do. :) I couldn't do this myself.

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time for listening, and your comments.

I worked on it some yesterday and had a DUH moment. Apparently I was fiddling around with the tracks overall eq and had the highs rolled off. ( because I was tracking with loud headphones and the highs kill).

I'll have a new mix up soon, thanks again all for helping out!!

VSpaceBoy said:
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=5124

Ok, I've been working on it and need to take the temp now. Please have a listen and let me know how you think its coming along. All feedback good, bad, or ugly appreciated. :D

THank you and please drive through. :)

Hey Space,

The intro is very busy, but it grabs the attention.

The drums are full on which is a good thing, the cymbals are very much alive here, maybe a little less on the highs just to tame them somewhat, the ride cymbal sounds great though. The snare sounds fine to me, if I must nit pick the snare sound, maybe a little fattening up just to give the whole tune a little more thickness dynamically.
The kick is buried, possibly fighting for the same low frequencies as the bass guitar.
The guitar tone you have here sounds great, I like it!..I love the guitar entrance at 2:40, the pick scrape!! :) :)

I think it is coming along nicely Space, very tight!..This will definitely be rocking with the vocals happening Space.

I can't wait to hear the vocals tracked with this!..Great stuff Space!
This tune makes me feel like Slam Dancing!!.. :) :)

Gorty :) :)

i like the snare sound alot. a nice crack to it.

i deff like the song itself, it's pretty awesome.

thats all i got for ya, i wish i could make something sound that good.

Gorty said:
Hey Space,

The intro is very busy, but it grabs the attention.

The drums are full on which is a good thing, the cymbals are very much alive here, maybe a little less on the highs just to tame them somewhat, the ride cymbal sounds great though. The snare sounds fine to me, if I must nit pick the snare sound, maybe a little fattening up just to give the whole tune a little more thickness dynamically.
The kick is buried, possibly fighting for the same low frequencies as the bass guitar.
The guitar tone you have here sounds great, I like it!..I love the guitar entrance at 2:40, the pick scrape!! :) :)

I think it is coming along nicely Space, very tight!..This will definitely be rocking with the vocals happening Space.

I can't wait to hear the vocals tracked with this!..Great stuff Space!
This tune makes me feel like Slam Dancing!!.. :) :)

Gorty :) :)

Great feedback Gort, thanks for taking the time!!! After listeing while reading your comments I completely agree.

Thanks for listening!

TragikRemix said:
i like the snare sound alot. a nice crack to it.

i deff like the song itself, it's pretty awesome.

thats all i got for ya, i wish i could make something sound that good.
Thanks buddy!

VSpaceBoy said:
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=5124

Ok, I've been working on it and need to take the temp now. Please have a listen and let me know how you think its coming along. All feedback good, bad, or ugly appreciated. :D

THank you and please drive through. :)
Much better man...drums are not buried like before, and sem to have a fuller sound. Interesting beginning....pretty cool. Until you get vox, you might just leave this...it's got a lot of dynamics, but nothing seems to be stepping on anything else. Any small tweaks might need to come after vox are added, so you don't clutter anything up.

Sounding good man.... :cool:

I listened to the recent mix, then went back to the original post and things are flowing pretty well in my opinion. All seems balanced, nothing is overpowering in the drums or the instruments, I'd say record the vocal tracks and it should be a great success!

Sounds good. :D

My only two nits are the bass sounds like it's pushed to the back, and I really don't like the snare sound. Someone above really liked it, so maybe it's just me??

Nice job!

:D

Man, that section starting at :34 is atmospheric. Really nice. Song sounds well balanced overall. Guitars sound good. Drumset sounds good. Cymbals especially. Personally, I'd leave out the opening bass-only passage and just start where the guitars come in at at :09 but make the guitars a little quieter during the first few bars. Just my own taste.

Tim

Last edited:
Back