finally.................

joro

The Pie Guy
it's been a long time but,......finally wrote something new......
alternate tuning (a lot of open strings.....)CGCFCE....................capo 2nd......

it's a Nick Drake tuning used for Pink Moon............
man oh man...am I a happy Joe..........:guitar:

now...I just need to press the red button.......:rolleyes:

a lil' sample......

my DAW died (power supply fried) and I am using a new tower with a Creative Audigy Platinum card.....yuck....
either I need to buy a new power supply or move my Delta 10/10 PCI to the new tower, update drivers and load a good recording software....

that said...this was done direct with a freebie software that I have no clue as to how to use.....

Attachments

• pie.mp3
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
The promise of Pink Moon Nick Drake tuning totally reeled me in to have a listen. :) Can I ask in my naivety, what exactly you recorded? Is it two acoustic guitars, or have you got a 12 string going on? It sounds really, really nice at about :53, so deep & jangly. I really wanna know if that's just two separate guitars recorded, or more. Please TELL ME how you get that amazing sound.... :guitar:

The promise of Pink Moon Nick Drake tuning totally reeled me in to have a listen. :) Can I ask in my naivety, what exactly you recorded? Is it two acoustic guitars, or have you got a 12 string going on? It sounds really, really nice at about :53, so deep & jangly. I really wanna know if that's just two separate guitars recorded, or more. Please TELL ME how you get that amazing sound.... :guitar:

you got good ears sister.....it's 2 separate guitar tracks.
This will be longer by about a minute and I have to figure out if a bridge works.
Still a WIP.....
Thanks for the encouragement..............:thumbs up:

Nice joro... look forward to the next version - with mics...!

FTG - I've done a lot of stuff with open tunings over the years but not so much in the current work - more my instrumental work.. what you're hearing as "that amazing sound" is three things:

(a) double tracking, as joro's mentioned - I always always always double track acoustic guitars - it fills out the sound and covers a multitude of recording sins at the same time... win... now joro's started playing different things on the two different tracks then brought them together and played the same thing so you have this chorusy effect caused by the minor variations
(b) the "drone" effect of open tuning. Your standard Spanish EADGBE tuning isn't really a useful chord on its own. Joro's using CGCFCE which is sort of a C major chord with a 2nd (E) thrown in - strum straight across that without any fingers on any frets and what you get is this sort of slightly more complex major chord because of the 2nd. It sounds good. The general technique is then that you use relatively simple chord shapes - even one finger/string only - and move it up and down the fretboard to create these really strong chordal melodies as joro is doing - and because all 6 strings are tuned into this interesting chord on these own, you get a droning effect of the basic chord behind the melody stuff - in particular the C... note that there are three Cs in the 6 strings...
(c) the lower pitch. Joro's E string is 4 semitones lower, at C, than a normal E, his A string is 2 semitones lower at G, than a normal A... etc. so you're getting this different, lower sound as well that you don't normally hear with acoustic guitar

That combination is what's getting you in... I love it - it does have its limitations but then you can always retune it some other way to get a different sound... :listeningmusic:

Nice joro... look forward to the next version - with mics...!

FTG - I've done a lot of stuff with open tunings over the years but not so much in the current work - more my instrumental work.. what you're hearing as "that amazing sound" is three things:

(a) double tracking, as joro's mentioned - I always always always double track acoustic guitars - it fills out the sound and covers a multitude of recording sins at the same time... win... now joro's started playing different things on the two different tracks then brought them together and played the same thing so you have this chorusy effect caused by the minor variations
(b) the "drone" effect of open tuning. Your standard Spanish EADGBE tuning isn't really a useful chord on its own. Joro's using CGCFCE which is sort of a C major chord with a 2nd (E) thrown in - strum straight across that without any fingers on any frets and what you get is this sort of slightly more complex major chord because of the 2nd. It sounds good. The general technique is then that you use relatively simple chord shapes - even one finger/string only - and move it up and down the fretboard to create these really strong chordal melodies as joro is doing - and because all 6 strings are tuned into this interesting chord on these own, you get a droning effect of the basic chord behind the melody stuff - in particular the C... note that there are three Cs in the 6 strings...
(c) the lower pitch. Joro's E string is 4 semitones lower, at C, than a normal E, his A string is 2 semitones lower at G, than a normal A... etc. so you're getting this different, lower sound as well that you don't normally hear with acoustic guitar

That combination is what's getting you in... I love it - it does have its limitations but then you can always retune it some other way to get a different sound... :listeningmusic:

wow...I did all that????:cool:
it's funny because it was accidental by nature.....
I also double track all acoustic guitar tracks for the very same reasons.....I think Participant clued me in some years ago right here on these boards.
I am working out a bass line for this and drop D tuning seems to be the way to go on bass.....

You also have great ears man...you described the style perfectly.....much better than I could for sure.
on aside.....I downloaded Reaper last night and I have the next two days off so I am going to transfer my 10/10 to the new tower and break open the mic cabinet.....
Thanks for the encouragement man....:thumbs up:

procrastinated all day........

finally powered down and cracked the cases....

popped the plate, installed the pci......downloaded and installed new drivers.....setup card I/Os and slaved to Lucid GENx6 96 superclock.....set pc preferences for devices (recording and playback)...........

joro is now rockin' with a prosumer DAW...............:cool::D

wow...what a difference in sound. I can hear this recording so much better on my KRKs now....it actually sounds a lot better...especially separation of channels.......almost usable....I am still going to re-record though.

btw...on aside...Armistice......the notes would be correct if I hadn't capoed the second....this raises all the notes you mention by one full step actually making it a D major kind of thing.....

btw...on aside...Armistice......the notes would be correct if I hadn't capoed the second....this raises all the notes you mention by one full step actually making it a D major kind of thing.....

Yeah, missed that, whoops.

When are we hearing the meisterwerk?;)

When are we hearing the meisterwerk?;)

lol....

ok...so I have the evaluation version of reaper running and I am still trying to figure it out...I suppose I should RTFM......:rolleyes::RTFM:

I finally got all my I/Os to work properly but, I don't know how to mix down to a final file so I cannot edit the start and stop time.....so..............
here's a take with mics on the 2 guitar tracks.....I am also clueless on how the effects work so only compression was added to the bass....

meh.......I need to do this again...I am not feeling it.....

Attachments

• reaperpie2.mp3
    4.8 MB · Views: 34
If you click in just below the top of the screen and drag to the right or left, you create a lighter grey banded area in Reaper - not sure exactly what its formal name is - region perhaps - so if you do that on the bounds of your tune, then in the Render As dialogue box there's a tickbox for "selected area only" or somesuch... that way you're just rendering the exact area you've selected... easy peasy...

I was messing around with some Nick Drake tunings last night. Couldn't get anything useful to save my soul. What you've got here sounds real nice. Good start on a new song.

I found this site last night.... http://www.nickdraketabs.com/

Last edited:
Oh, I just checked in Reaper. It's not a tickbox, it's a drop down at the top of the Render dialogue box called "Render bounds"... good luck...

I've been using Reaper for exactly 225 days and I've read about 5 pages of the manual. Hence, I use about 5% of its functionality. :o

Reaper Pie is a good title.

Great job though Joro, I really like this a lot.

BTW, Thanks son of Yoda for the explanation on how this was done. I used to do a bit of open tuning when I was learning to play some John Fahey tunes but only really used it for finger picking. Might try this strumming stuff, because it sounds so cool.

thanks for the link to the tab site Chili.....
Thanks for the Reaper info Armistice....I think I am not liking Reaper right now and will probably go back to AA If I can get it off of my old tower somehow.....I could always piggyback Hard drives.....
and thanks Fritsgirl.....I appreciate the encouragement.;)

Back