Finally recorded with decent microphones, now if i could just mix...

The sound is already pretty sweet. :) I don't have any problems with the mix - I think it's great.

The guitars seem to be fighting each other...it's mostly what they are playing, it's not sync-ing up. The panning on headphones makes it more disjointed. The guitars at 2:08 and 4:02 seems to be a better arrangement - when the right guitar plays single notes or similar picking to that on the left. The actual playing is fine, it's just that the two don't always seem to blend together. The recording of them is good though...

Backing vocals are great - sitting nicely. Drums are good too - the cymbals are super clear but not too crispy.

Overall I think you better write down those settings.....:)

mate, i just registered and i thought id check some of the mixes that people are doing.
i thought your one was great. like ido said the guitars seem disjointed but only abit. if they where my guitars i would add bit of delay 50 - 100 ms, maybe double up the tracks and also slightly more reverb. Singing is fantastic. Drums are all good except for the snare. I dont know its just it seems distant but still loud, did you close mic it?
edit - i take it back about the snare. i was using shitty headphones, i listened with the monitors and yeah man its tight.

I like this alot everything seems to balance well, it seems to me you can hear alot of the room in the snare and toms, but then again what do I know.

Hi guitarboi89.
:cool: Very, very good song. Must have been tremendous fun having a whole band in your house and this does sound like a live recording. If that's what you're after then it's worked, but as it's such a good song I'd personally like to hear a more 'produced' sound to build the dynamics and blend things a bit more. To that end I think it definitely needs effects added all round, to create atmosphere and particularly to marry the guitars together. Vocals are good.

To my ears this has a very 'Radiohead'/'Coldplay' feel to it – nice!!!
dreamer7 :)

Heres an early attempt at mixing a track i recently recorded:
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=11138
It was the full band tracking in my house which was really fun and the raw tracks sound awesome. I just need some pointers on taking this from sounding okay to amazing :)

Nice tune and a very good tracking, the mix is well ballanced, good job !

The mix is a little messy in the bass and lowmids.
Try to get rid of the mud arround 200-400Hz and raise the high end a bit !

I made a short premaster to show what I mean. Its a A/B listening that starts around 30 seconds and switches every 10sec between them.

Dirk

The guitars make this song sound very open. The ride and crashes also are very open sounding. Like it was in a nice live space. Then the snare lacks that quality. The snare sounds nice but dry, like it wasn't recorded in the same place. It might even sound better to me through the overheads than the close mic for this song. Try adding a reverb to the snare track to see if it blends any better. I think the live sound is coming from the space. Kinda sounds like a small club standing farther back from the speakers. I actually think that is a GREAT thing. I think that makes this sound amazing. That's the kind of space I'd like to get going on in my mixes. Very well done.:)

How'd you track? What mic's and gear?

wow, thanks for all the awesome replys :)
So heres the problems people have brought up:
  • Muddy, or cluttered in low mids- Cheers dirk for the mp3, i love when people express themselves with audio. I think i may have to play around with selective cutting from the snare, bass, vocals and guitars so its clear but not thin sounding
  • The Snare - I used the phil collins trick from a room mic which i think is too correlated to make it sound good (although if i want a really trashy snare i know how to get it). Also we didnt mic the bottom which was a mistake.
  • Odd reverbs - Well the drums were tracked in a smallish but live room so thats printed. I also find it really hard to get good sounding reverb, its definately a big problem in my mixes, as it is theres no reverb except for snare. If anyone has anything that they read, or can tell me about getting good reverb sounds i think it would make my year.

Equipment list:
Behringer ADA adat mic pre thing
Motu 828 original
A small behringer rack mixer for more preamps

Vocals 2xRE20
Guitars 2xBeta 57
Bass Behringer Di
Kick D112
Snare SM57
Toms MD421
Overheads AKG 451 (i really liked these)
Room Mic RE20

All the mics (bar a 57, and the 451's) were rented (for FREE :D) from our universities stage crew... which really helped.

On a side note, those behringer £15 heaphone amps are absolutely fine for tracking.

Cheers for the comments again, and keep this coming, pick it apart ;)

Listening on cheap headphones, therefore I wont give comment on the mix.

But WOW, I love the song, the vox, and the arrangements. Sounds like you have a Radiohead influence, but the song itself sounded like something Wilco wouldve done on Sky Blue Sky. Both of those things are supposed to be a compliment;)
Pad yourself on the back.

Mike

I'm really a fan of this man. The leveling is pretty good actually.

I'm making judgements off of the new mix. I agree the snare sounds a little better.

Did you also add it to the toms?

In the first mix my main concern was not the snare, but the toms and how dead and quick they lasted. Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me, but it seems slightly more lively in this mix.

I think the snare is actually very fitting for this song. I really don't have any critiques for this man. I really enjoy everything about it.

BTW, i love the 451's as well. I use them on my hats and and ride on pretty much every recording.

Oh, and I'm really digging the guitaring in the instrumental. Myspace?

Thank you again, we have a myspace -
www.myspace.com/electricfurs
The tracks up are from when i recorded the band in summer before i joined it.:D

Nightfire its strange that you say wilco, cause i seem to get that pretty often even though ive never listened a song of theirs (i think ill have to check them out).

Anyways, ive got 3 more tracks to mix from this session so keep checking them out ;)

Back