Finally! ive sorted my song out

craig17uk1985

[Newbie]

when i posted here earlier today my song wasnt very good due to bell noises in the song and really bad recording, but now ive sorted it and have got a brand new version which is extremely clear, im suprised how clear it is considering the mic im using.

Anyway please have a listen and tell me what you think ta!

/craig

The song is called 'your Always With Me' and artist is me craig stockley!

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/rockpop/

hey craig,
I see that ur investing time and effort in making music, and that's something I really DO appreciate! but I have the impression that you try to learn everything at the same time - guitar, singing, mixing

1. guitars are not bad played, but are loosing sync - maybe a metronome in the headphones while playing would fix this

2. there's a lot of work to do on your voice, wich is sometimes out of tune, or problems keeping the note

3. in a good mix everything is well balanced - thats why there shouldn't be one side much louder than the other like the guitar in the right side; so you could pan one to the right and the other to the left, or you could use just one stereo guitar where you just delay slightly the 2channels

don't give up, work on yourself!
cheers!

thanks

hey thanks mate for posting. Ill take in mind what you said with the balancing of a song and the voice especially, im as newbie as you can get at this sort of thing, im still learning the guitar and these recording programs, but everything new takes time to get used to but i appreciate your advice.

Thanks alot

/craig

Some good ideas there. I have a few suggestions, but feel free to take them or leave them!

Play to a click or a metronome. It'll help keep the guitar tracks tighter.

Think about changing the key or some of the notes in the melody - the low sections sound like they're out of your vocal range.

Do lots and lots of takes, especially of the vocals, choose the best bits, and stick them together. If you're working with a computer-based sequencer this is quite easy.

EQ (equalise) the two guitar tracks differently to give them each a bit more identity. For example, you could try cutting a lot of the bass and mid-range frequencies from the strumming guitar.

Another good trick with guitars is to play and record the same track twice and pan one track all the way to the left, the other one all the way to the right.

This can give the guitar a very "wide" sound, without crowding the middle of the stereo mix where the main vocal is. Note that simply duplicating a track and panning one left, one right, doesn't work - it just sounds like a louder version panned centre.

You *can* achieve good results with two copies of a single track by delaying one copy of it slightly, but in my opinion it sounds better if you just record the track twice. The slight differences give it a more natural feel.

I would probably move the picked guitar (currently on the left hand side) nearer the middle too, leaving just the strumming guitars out on the left and right.

The main thing is to keep making music. There are a lot of very helpful and skilful people on this board, and if you stick around you'll learn a lot from them.

I'm a complete amateur at all this, so don't take any of the above as gospel. But hopefully some of the ideas might help.

Cheers

AB

yeh

what i'll do is spend alot more time on each part and use the program and effects ive got wisely as well as you said making it sound more natural and stuff. alot of good advice there thanks alot, it takes time but im gonna stick to it, and any other songs i make ill post on here for you so you can have a listen.

great, thanks again

cya later!

/craig :)

Back