Finally got pics of my studio.

Now I know your from another planet. Dreams don't come in a Cracker Jacks box and neither do house payments. I don't know who pays yours, but I've spent close to 30 years trying to save enough just to build a HOME studio, WHICH btw, is the subject of this forum. NOT COMMERCIAL ENDEAVORS. If I wanted to look at commercial studios, theres TONS of them on the net. And all of em took a chunk of change, WHICH btw, don't grow on trees pal. And you don't buy this kind of technology OR an existing studio on a couple of years chore income.

Isnt this De Ja Vu from another thread from a younger kid with equipment. Rick i even stood up in your favor on that one.

You dont have to believe me i guess. Im sorry youve been working your ass off for 30 years to no avail. But your jealousy is not appreciated. My parents are worse off then you would expect. My dad has been unmarried for 14 years and in poverty, about to go bankrupt with his business. My mom is currently single over the last year and i also have to support her financially. Shes not necessarily in poverty but her money is spread sparingly. I guarantee this studio was not just handed to me. I worked my ass off proving that i could even take the responsibility.

Ive been in all of this for a year and a half and its been successful. But right before that i was still a basic home studio trying to get by with what little gear i could. So it wasnt like i rushed in here to show everyone my new toys. And if youve read my thanks, part of the point of this is to show everyone how great this board is. I think the only reason why i am to the point that i am is because of this board. I try to contribute as much as i can to this forum instead of taking off to gear slutz or pro rec.

Anyway im not leaving anytime soon. This is where i grew up in.

Richard Monroe - I was really starting to get worried about the amount of work i was doing. And it literally wasnt going to let up for the month. Big projects goin on. Im down in Utah now after battling major snow storms and running off the road. Infact i had a guy go into major road rage and try to run me off the road for half a minute. So it hasnt been much of a vacation yet. But even on the way down here i got a call from a group from out state Whyoming to get some stuff scheduled. Its not like im doing amazing bands around here right now. At one time the studio pulled most of its work from California with some pretty big artists. But i forgot to mention that the studio went dormant for a year and basically went completely dead. Within the time that i have owned it ive made it make an income again. Luckily it happened soon enough that i could keep alot of the vintage equipment around. I ended up finding a friend that was reliable to do tracking on a few projects as an assistant while i got away. So work is still being done while im gone. I set up all the mics and got the sounds before i left so he didnt have to do anything but press play and record and set up tracks.

Anyway, off to go do some partying :D.

Danny

Oh yah. Funny thing is, this studio is attached to a house. Ironically a big Rock house that is like a castle built in the early 1900s. Thats where the name Rockhouse Recording really came from. But it is a house of rock.

Unfortunately i do not live in the house.

I dont see why it matters if your professional or not. There are plenty of professionals here that show off their studios on this forum.

Anyway, im done with that. I dont even know why i came back to the subject. Either way ive still got it and having a great time with it, doing the work i wonna do. And complaining isnt whats going to take it away.

Danny

Damn. You're 20. That is fucking awesome man. Seriously.

I'm 18 now. If I could be in a situation like that in the next two years.. I don't know what the hell I'd do. I'm jealous. :p

Knowing what you wanted to do in life at such a young age and having the balls to make it happen -- well, all the power to ya, kid! Hope it all works out.

Well Darnold, I have to say that I know Rick, and he's a good guy. This may be a stressful time for him, so don't judge too quickly. And gee, how do I get to occasionally take a vacation? I get up every morning, drive 42 miles and review medical cases for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, when I'd rather be writing songs. Then I hand all my money to my accountant wife, and I don't ask what she does with it. I don't make babies. You know, it really isn't impossible to pay your bills, work for a living, and take a vacation every so often. If it is impossible, you definitely need to rethink your priorities. Believe it or not, most Americans take vacations. They go to Aruba, and Cancun, and Disney World. I come from the same planet they do. If you *never* get to take a vacation, you are from the *all I do is work* planet, and that sure as hell is not the American dream.
And music is all about dreaming. I hope you remember that before you lose it, and it just becomes wave forms and phase problems, noise floors and feedback issues. Believe it or not, Rick, most Americans take vacations, and
it sounds like you are way overdue for one
And Darnold, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread a little, but Rick's a friend, and he sounds like he's got some pain he's dealing with. Your studio is gorgeous, and it would appear that everything you have is the result of hard work, sacrifice, and some luck. It's not a crime to be successful. I wish you all the best.-Richie
.-Richie

But your jealousy is not appreciated.
Danny, you are mistaken. First off, I didn't say ANYTHING in regards to YOUR studio. But lets put things in perspective here. You are 20 years old. That tells me if anything, even if you started saving at 14 years old, in six years, you have bought and sold approx 100k in gear. .Not to mention a pre built studio with all that was in it......... Hmmm. Lets look at a few of your posts and replys about equipment you have owned and now own...
"(2) Alesis Adat Type II XT20
Alesis Adat XT
Alesis Adat Blackface
Furman IT-1220
(4) DBX 165As
Furman HA6A
Lexicon LXP-15
(2) Lexicon PCM60
(2) Motu MTP midi Timepiece AV
Opcode Studio 3 Midi
Panasonic SV-3800
(2) Rane SM26
(2) SpectraSonics 610s
Tascam CD-RW 5000 Pro
Tascam 122mkII
Urei 527A
(2) Urei LA-4
White Series 4000EQ
White Series 4400EQ
(2) JBL Urei Series 7110 Compressers
Furman HDS-6
Crown D-150A Series II
Alesis HD24
(4) Sabine SW-16Rs (Space fillers )

its good to know that there is such thing as another democrat/liberal here in Idaho.

11-08-2004, 18:00
Even when i was working with the Control 24 in the studio i still found myself drawing the automation in the sequencer. Sometimes i would do it with the control 24 but ive always felt it was better and more fun for me to draw it.
10-12-2004, 16:23
The only problem ive had with the 2408mk3 is sometimes (like 1/100) it doesnt initiate on boot up. But i think its more computer related then motu and it just takes a quick reboot to fix.
10-11-2004
ust about 5 months ago i had a Protools HD2, Control 24, and 96 i/o, equipped with Waves Platinum 3.2, Sony EQ, Real Verb, and a bunch of other really expensive TDM
Plugins. Thats around $20,000 or...
10-11-2004
The mids on the Mackie HR824s the 6 months that i had them were fatiguing, and everything i mixed with them turned out dull on them. Probably...

10-04-2004
so what your saying is i should sell my DyanAudios and get me some of these? Imi at least extremely interested in buying a pair of the compacts or something to use as a mobile speaker or...
(2) Studio Projects C1
(2) Studio Projects B3
(1) MXL V67
(2) MXL 603
(1) Neumman TLM193
(1) Neumman U87 (Blue Label)
(2) Neuman KM184s
(1) Soundelux U95 (not U195, might not have this for long)
(1) Microtech Gefell UM70
(2) AKG C414 EB
(1) AKG C414 ULS
(3) AKG C408
(1) AKG D224E
(1) Audio Technica ATM 33A
(1) Audio Technica ATM 33R
(2) Audio Technica AT4050
(2) Audio Technica AT4033
(2) Behringer ECM8000
(3) Sennheiser e604
(1) Sennheiser e602
(2) Sennheiser MD421-U-5
(6) Shure SM57s
(2) Shure SM53
(1) Shure 33-922
(1) EV CH 15E
(1) EV CS 15E
(4) EV RE20
(2) EV RE18
(2) Oktava MC 012
(1) Royer R-122
My $900 Motu 2408mk3 runs crap with games because...

How's the Behringer ECM8000?
I hardly ever use mine, but every once in a while i grab them

ll second the TLM193.
This mic doesnt get much hype but it really is a great mic. Might be a little over the budget though.

Well ive messed around with this old EV RE20 until it just doesnt work at all anymore. I.....

Its been a pretty busy week. Re-equipping your studio is a very difficult thing to do when you got clients on the line. The down time has been much more...

You mentioned the JBL / Urei 7110. I finally decided to grab the two of these i have in my new studio and hook them up. Unfortunately i didnt have time to go....."

But then:
10-04-2004
"I have always been curious about that also. I wish i could go out and buy a B1 for $42."..........

hmmmmm.

These are only a few. Personally, I can't even fathom how an adult would pull this off, EVEN WORKING FULL TIME. What you have and have had doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me. What does, is ACHIEVING it yourself. And if you tell me you did this" by hard work, I'd venture to say you are a magician or a goddamn lier. I'll be the first to congradulate ANYONE for hard fought rewards, but this is rediculous. I'm 60 years old, and I'm no fool. You may pull the wool over these peoples eyes, but not mine. NOBODY earns that kind of dough working at a home studio, I don't give a damn what you say.

And music is all about dreaming. I hope you remember that before you lose it, and it just becomes wave forms and phase problems, noise floors and feedback issues.and

Richard, I played professional guitar for 35 years, so don't lecture me about dreams. I sacraficed MANY things in life to have my little "dream", including a family, owning a home, driving a new car, health and dental care, and many other things in life that the so called average American gets by working a day to day.
Fortunately, I came out of my "dream", faced reality, and dropped that ideal when I was young enough to gain some technical skills in order to "make a living". I'm STILL doing it because of following my hearts desire. Unfortunately, what nobody EVER wants to talk about is the cost. I haven't got a single regret, other than loosing my family to economic FAILURE, due to following that damn dream. So don't tell my about dreams. By the time I was able to find a decent job, I was 40 years old. I was 54 before I could buy a house, only to have the goddamn child support system make me sell it to pay my ex $30k that THEY stole form her after I spent 5 years of wage garnishment . Yea, I got some fucking shit I'm dealing with but it isn't rich kid studios. That is a fucking joke. I could care less. I've got more to deal with than you can possibly imagine. So go lecture some kid who wants to be a musician. Tell him about the dreams. But you better goddamn tell em about the possible costs too!!
As far as studio is concerned, I started my interest clear back in the 60's when the cheapest studio console was an Ampex @ $20k then. Might as well been a million. Thanks to the 80's homestudio revolution, I was able to slowly but surely put together cassettes, a reel to reel, and enough equipment to enjoy homerecording as it was ment to be. Semi pro, fun, hobby stuff. Spent another 10 years upgrading because NOW the dream was a full fledged studio. If I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered. Hindsight is 2020. However, I still enjoy dabbling in it, even though I will NEVER have enough financial security to justify spending the type money Danny has spent, EVEN IF I COULD, or even if I could figure out a way to make it in the first place. After 25 years chasing this dream, I know EXACTLY what it takes, and it isn't possible for someone like me. So don't EVEN pretend to know what the Average american should or should not be able to do. Even take a vacation. THAT my friend, is for people who DIDN"T follow a dream like mine.
I haven't had a real one week vacation EVER!! Zero. Zilch. Get it?

I like you a lot, but you really can't slam the guy for his studio with all the assumptions you've made, and they are assumptions.
Slam? Where did you get that idea. Just because someone 20 years old posts a bunch of pictures and statements doesn't mean it is true. And even if it is, so what, I merely stood in the light of amazement, as I can't percieve taking a week and flying to some island for a vacation Maybey you can, but not me. As far as my statement about saving for 30 years, let me give you clue to AVERAGE AMERICAN working class reality. They spend a great majority of thier working life trying to pay bills. At least the ones I've come to know. Anything left over usually buys a treat, like a tv, or car, or something that makes them happy. I've tried to start 2 business's in my life, both failed from lack of a financial foundation in the first place. Don't tell me some kid can generate the types of resources it takes to pull this one off by "hard work" by the time he is 20. To that I say bullshit. And IF its true, I'll eat my words, and quit this studio shit, because something is not quite right. At least from my perspective.

I jost wrote the longest thread ive ever even thought about writing. The whole history of getting Rockhouse. Decided to take it down. Im sure most of you already have it in your emails but that doesnt matter. I dont need to sit here and defend myself to Rick. It doesnt matter.

It is what it is and everyone can think of me the way they want to. This is way too much attention for a short amount of time. Everyone is going to look at me differently. Which is why it took so long for me to draw attention to this in the first place. Its almost better to be ordinary with nothing to lose than to have a few minutes of fame and respect. Fast and easy recognition and respect is lost just as fast and easy as its gained.

There are people on this board that do appreciate what i have to say here. And if they dont i will gladly stop sharing. But im not going to spoil what i feel as a great accomplishment from your bitching to me. Dont believe its true. It doesnt matter. In the end i still have to go back to the studio and work on keeping my dream studio.

Thanks everyone for you comments. It really is appreciated. Its givin me more encouragement to keep going with this thing.

Thanks,

Danny

Hello Danny, you owe me no explaination, as frankly I don't really care. I do admire your fortitude and belief in yourself, and I do think what you have accomplished is rare. However, you are the one who stretched the truth, not me. Like everyone else here, I only see what I see, and read what I read, and you have repeatedly led people to believe something that did and does not exist. You do NOT own that building, you did NOT build that studio, you do not own ALL the gear you have written about, and that is a lie in my eyes, plain and simple. You are correct that it is NOT worth it to portray reality falsly for a few members to drop their jaws in awe. Anyone, with enough of a loan, or a big enough gift, can bust their ass to build a studio too. The difference, is you rent one. That's not to say there is anything wrong with that. Only this is HOME RECORDING. com,, and this is the Studio building forum Most members here have built their spaces from scratch themself, and if they didn't, then what the hell are they doing here? Get my drift.. What you implied by lack of information , was all that gear was yours, the studio was yours, and you did it all yourself simply by hard work and determination. I knew at your age, and the time you have had, unless you had got a loan, or something to that effect, hard work alone was nonsense. Granted, you HAVE busted your balls to achieve your dream, but that success remains to be seen. Believe me, I feel for you, as I've been there and worse. Call it dues. Who knows, you MAY succeed and I personally hope you do. But lets call a horse a horse. Without that gear to begin with, professional recording does not exist, at least in a business context, and getting that level of gear for most of us is a lifetime "dream" as, at least myself, I have no one to give me a loan. Dreams of this nature, in reality, take money and lots of it. And like I said, it don't grow on trees. Good luck with your endeavor. I sincerely hope you are successful.
fitZ :)

Im sorry about making this longer. But that just doesnt make sense.

It is my studio. And this is the Studio Building and DISPLAY forum. I own the name of Rockhouse, I own the business. Just not the facility. If you rent out a house on a loan, or an apartment, or a building in the city does that not make it yours? Of course you do not own the deed, but i am renting the property. And i did not ever claim tha i built that studio. I made it very clear in my posts that it was built close to 20 years ago. Even when i tried to describe the details of the construction i stated that i dont know the exact details because i was not there when i built it. I am leasing the gear right now, but i am paying for it. True someone can get a loan to get a Corvette, but they still own it if they are paying for it. Nothin i said was lieing or deceiving. This is the studio i run, i manage, i have ownership of everyday. I decide the price, i decide what equipment goes in there, everything. I can do what i need with the vintage equipment, even sell it. That might not mean anything until i actually have a deed of ownership, but i cant think of very many people that actually OWN what they have. If you put it the way you are saying, then most of the business owners i know dont own their business. They are just dreaming it. I might have said a few things that were a little unclear but you were the one who stretched it.

Even though i didnt sit there and put all the wood of and construct everything, i still built about acquiring the studio. I built it into what it is now. What the studio is at this very moment is all done by me. If i wasnt here, it wouldnt be the way it is now. It is still my work. And like i said in my big long thread, it maybe wasnt the fact that i built up by working for the money to purchase the vintage gear, but it was busting my ass off to give me the oppurtunity. You might say that i built up to the oppurtunity to have it handed to me. Maybe, BUT I DID IT!

And now im busting my ass off to keep it and make it grow. I know money doesnt grow on trees because ive never had money either. I still dont. I put every penny back into this damn studio. I just left out of state with 20 bucks in my fuckin pocket. I plan to eat 1 meal a day.

And im sorry but quit your fucking whining about your life. It sounds like you had it hard, and i really feel for that. But just because i got a fuckin loan you didnt doesnt mean you gotta treat me like im some rich bastard that has everything in the world.

Your not giving advice here. Nothing important is coming from your mouth here. You are just whining and bitching. All ive learned from this is that there really are people out there who want nothing more than to make other people look bad. And that this forum is getting to be a waist of my time.

I want to feel bad for you because everyone is telling me to. But damn dood. You getting on these big high throan like you know everything there is to know about life, and that every young kid should just crawl up and die because they dont know what the hell work is. You say that im getting up, showing off, trying to stretch the truth about all my acheivements. To me your not doing anything different. Just getting up and saying that youve got life by the balls and all figured out.

And lets just stretch that MAY for the succeed one moretime. Doesnt sound like your hoping i succeed to me. Sounds like your expecting me to fail. But nice try on the last words of encouragement.

Im outta this forum for a while. I should have just kept low profile.

Danny

Nice studio Darnold and kudos for you for knowing what you wanted and having enough balls to do it. I Hope you are able to have a succsesfull business for many years to come.

Fitz - Take a break. You're not doing yourself any favours with your rants lately. You sound like nothing more than a bitter man.

I hope this does'nt happen when I finally show off my studio. :D

Just kidding, lol Some have seen it, but its paid for.

Darnel, beautiful place you have. Good luck with studio. Darnel, dont run off because some guy on here has tried to call you out. You made your point and he has tried to validate his. So drop it and still visit as we all do.

Rick, I dont know you but as a newbie on here your posts that I have seen are very strange. In the sense, one minute your helpful and then the next minute your cussing someone out beacause they didnt put a period at the end of a sentence. Now this,,,,,,,,Relax a little!! Rick, please dont respond to this because I wont carry on a argument with you. Just to let ya know in advance ;)

Peace Eddie

Pretty nice place.

I have to ask though, who wrote up your business plan to get that kind of loan for a 20 year old, for a dead studio. I would like to speak to them, maybe they can help me out too.

60s Guy - Dood thats awesome where did you find that? Im guessing you new Trent then. Funny thing is, those bass traps have nothing in them. I dont know what he was thinking when he built them. They are just cavities in the wall built with fiberboard and has cloth and pine slot over the top of it. Im atually planning a project on taking them all down and doing something with them. Why he did that i really dont know. Maybe they do more than i think. That wasnt too long ago i bet. But that was before he put the Control 24 in. that was a pretty new addition. That was when he had a few black face 1176s and stuff. Awesome mic collection. he had every mic i could imagine. Found a Salt and Pepper mic in the desk of a professors drawer at the university, asked how much the professor would sell it for, and got it for 20 bucks.

I knew he had worked with a band that signed to MCA records. He got tons of royalties off that. But i dont remember the name of the group. I also knew he worked with AC/DC, Billy Idol, etc. Its pretty interesting. Im gonna give him a call this week.

Im not really planning on taking off. But it was 3:30 in the morning and started realizing i dont have the time or sweat to put up with this kind of stuff from a forum. But i probably should take a break off the forum while im my vacation also.

Hangdawg - The nice thing was, i could still show Records of what Rockhouse was. The bank that finally actually did the loan was very familiar with Trent. I was honest with everything, but they knew that it was possible to bring it back up. Besides that, with a Co Sign, it almost doesnt matter. As long as its backed up with collateral. $15,000 is alot of money, but not that much for a business. Not much at all. Especially a recording studio. It was basically treated more like taking out a loan for a car.

Danny

darnold said:
60s Guy - Dood thats awesome where did you find that? Im guessing you new Trent then.
I found it where anyone could find it.....GOOGLE!

Know him? Not at all (I'm in CT).

Danny, the very best of success to you. I wish I were 20 again! Oh well.

p.s. Better fill those traps :)

darnold said:
Hangdawg - The nice thing was, i could still show Records of what Rockhouse was. The bank that finally actually did the loan was very familiar with Trent. I was honest with everything, but they knew that it was possible to bring it back up. Besides that, with a Co Sign, it almost doesnt matter. As long as its backed up with collateral. $15,000 is alot of money, but not that much for a business. Not much at all. Especially a recording studio. It was basically treated more like taking out a loan for a car.

Danny

I guess it's nice to have friends in high places. Fuck, you have $15k in compressors. Still not sure how you scored a place like that for $15G's but good luck in the biz.

Okay, okay!!!!

I'm the one who saw the pics and skipped all the text, and came right out and asked Darnold how he could afford this lavish pro studio! You'll have to forgive me for being the shit-stirrer.

I've also met Rick Fitzpatrick, and he's as nice and genuine as the day is long.

I've analyzed all these posts, and I missed the Darnold full-explanation text, but I've come to the conclusion that anyone could have the same opportunity to have their own studio, such as "Rockhouse", if they're willing to sign a loan for it. I'd estimate, maybe, $100K-$200K loan, but that's irrelevant. Anyone could do it, if they were determined enough to do it. Loans may be had for this type of business, AND it's MO that some seasoned studio vets may be selling out of the industry, who'd make this thing possible. The studio business is tough, and there's a whole changing of the guard going on out there in studio-land, where the old guys are selling out to upcoming new guys.

Beyond that, I have no doubt that sometimes incredibly young people may build incredibly wealthy empires, out of their own determination, that come complete with lavish studios and global vacations. Three words: "Girls Gone Wild".

Still, beyond that, there is a whole youth phenomenon, where teenage bands & such are making incredible wealth, almost as a rule, while shutting out us old-timers, never-has-beens. You don't think Beyonce' is incredibly wealthy, that money's just comin' out her booty? How bout Britney Spears? You'd say she's not incredibly wealthy? What about that no-talent Ashlee Simpson? Not wealthy? They are all wealthy. Two words sums it up: "Mmmmmmmmmm- Bop!"

Darnold is young, and apparently single, so he's able to put all his worth in this studio, without consideration of home mortgages, child support, or balancing that with responsibility of having kids, etc.

I'd say, more power to him. Sure, I'm jealous, but only a bit, because I have my sights set lower. If I chose to mortgage up my future and start a studio, I'd do it, too, and I'd be the Darnold of the day. However, I'm happy to be a recording "homer". 20 years ago, it might have been different. Today, is what it is, and we have all taken our place in life, a present reality that we made for ourselves. I'm older, and I've taken the "safe" route. Darnold is younger, and he's taken the "risky" route, but the high risk ventures also may yeild the highest gains.

I'm through being philosophical, for now./DA

I've got $15k easily in my setup, and it's nowhere near what he has. I want someone to explain how you can get a place like that for $15,000. Not where I'm from.

Back