Finally getting a condenser...

ZoSo58LP

rock guy
hey guys...so i've been mic'ing my amps up for years now. my main setup for guitar is mic'ing up my JCM2000 4x12 cab with an SM57 and an e609, then panning hard left/right for both, making the levels equal, and bam that's usually my stereo guitar track...(for the others, i'll either do just 1 mic of each, or blend them together but keep them both centered so it's just like one mic)

however, for christmas this year, i got a cool deal on an MXL V63M Stereo Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone, for only 50 bucks on musicians friend with a free boom stand. all of my mics up to now were dynamic (including three AKG mics that i've got) but now i've finally got a condenser to use. this one apparently has an output that splits into left/right XLR cables that you put into two different XLR ins on your mixer and i guess pan them L/R and you get a stereo image from a single mic....? that's what i'm assuming when reading about this thing. tried to google it, couldn't find that much information about it, but it's cool to finally have a condenser

so my question is basically, what's a good setup for one of these? should i keep my traditional 2 mic setup with the 57 and 609, and then throw this mic about 6 feet from the cab or so to pick up the room audio? my acoustics in my basement sort of suck; it's all concrete walls. any thoughts?

thanks!

The v63m Stereo mic has two capsules, set at 90 degree angles to each other.
The capsules are 22mm, the same size as in the MXL "pencil" mics, such as the
603, and several others of that general size and shape.

So, the most important fact is to realize you do not have a Large Diameter
Condenser (LDC) mic, even though the other models in the v63m line are
exactly that.

The Small Diameter Condenser (SDC) mics are used mostly for recording
instruments, while LDC mics are used mostly from recording voice.

Before the broad generality stated above is torn to shreds by the
eager folks who follow with detailed examples that refute it,
let me state that it is absolutely true that you can record any sound
with any mic.

However, experience has proven that (IN GENERAL), the mic you have
will best serve capturing instruments, rather than voices.

On the other hand, it might be just the ticket for capturing a choir,
vocal ensemble, or live band in one go.

HTH,
NoahF

Mebbe it's me, but I can't find a thing on MF about a V63 stereo mic. There is a V63 on sale with a boom stand as a gift but it's a straight condenser. Nothing wrong with that, but it aint a stereo mic.

Okay looked it up differently. Interesting mic. On MXL's site they recommend it for instruments.

Noah, thanks for the reply! i'm going to use it to record instruments so i'm set. thanks for the info!

Back