Finally buying equipment-- suggestions/warnings?

stasz

I posted a thread here on the forums a month or two ago and have been researching since then. I bought a guitar recently and I don't have much money to spend right now (about $300), but I really want to start recording drums, guitars and vocals. Here is my tentative plan:

-I found a Tascam 424 MK II for about $100 that I'm thinking about buying. Then I'm planning on getting mics, cords, and stands from SpeakerRepair. Specifically, I was thinking about getting two ES-57s with cords and stands for each, so I could do a simple recorderman overhead micing technique when recording drums, and then use the mics for everything else too. Opinions on the ES-57s as drum overheads, and for recording acoustic guitar, guitar amps, and vocals? I've read a lot of good reviews online, especially for the price. I know they won't sound good on everything, but they're in my price range, and I figure I can save up to buy more mics over time.

-Although I'm be pretty limited recording on 4 tracks of analog with just two dynamic mics, I was thinking I could just get started on the 424, then after I save up some money over this year I can get something like this so I can add effects, use condenser mics with the onboard preamps, and connect to my computer.

-I know that I'll probably get some flac for wanting to go analog and then later go digital (rather than just go straight to digital), but I want to start recording as soon as possible, and after researching some of the available options, I think I would need to save up before I can buy a digital interface that I'm happy with. For $100, I feel like the 424 is barely an investment, and at least this way I can get started while I'm saving up for a digital interface.

So basically I'm just asking if this plan seems feasible? All I want to do is start recording, even if it's just some lo-fi demos, just so I can get used to the process. All I'll need for now would be the 424, mics (two ES-57s), cables, and mic stands, right? (and tapes, obviously) I don't have monitors but I have some good sound-isolation headphones I can use while recording. I'm using this book as a reference, so i know that my room matters as well, but I have a pretty good room for recording drums, I just need to get the equipment.

PS Since I'm a noob, I'll say the same thing I said last time I posted, feel free to shoot down my ideas if you have a better alternative :)

Theres nothing wrong with the Tascam thats what I started out on and it'll give good results, watch out though... these things have been around for a long time and because they are mechanical LOTS can and will go wrong starting with the drive belts (a fairly cheap home repair) to much more serious problems. $100 seems rich for one too? I would think about half that on an auction site?
Dont know anything about the mics but like you said just get started and se how it goes
Good luck!

You seem fairly well clued up and researched. For starting up and getting your feet wet in the recording process, I think you'll do OK with what you've suggested. Upgrading as you learn more and experiment more is a legitimate part of recording, in my view.
Have fun !

I like the Lexicon Omega. It costs about 150 and comes with Cubase LE, which supports 24 tracks I think.

Look into the Presonus One Box

I think it like $250.oo. It comes with Studio One Artist recording software, Presonus headphones, a Presonus Studio condenser microphone, and a AudioBox USB interface. It may come with more than that too. For the price, it is worth it. If you already have a computer, you almost have half of your studio. I have an AudioBox USB by Presonus it's great. It came with Studio One Artist which is valued at around $200.oo and then I upgraded it to Studio One Pro which is valued at around $400.oo for $150.oo. I didn't get the One Box combo deal though.......I wish I had.

By the way, Studio One has unlimited tracks and supports RTA's, VST plug-ins, and more. Not recommended if you don't have a dual core processor in your PC and at least 4 MB of RAM. It will sound its best if u do.

For $160 you can get an M Audio Fast Track Pro (less, if you can find one used), record 2 tracks at once (like the Tascam) and you will already be digital - you can download Reaper for free (to try, pay when you can).

$100 seems rich for one too? I would think about half that on an auction site?

If you find a portastudio - or any other cassette deck - for $50 on an auction site, it will almost certainly be defective. Even at $100, it's a crap shoot. Take it from someone who got one working cassette deck out of five bought on Ebay in the last few weeks.

If I were in your situation here's what I would do. Write some songs and try and save up some coins. Then I would purchase a Tascam DP008, ($280.00) a Shure SM57 ($99.00) and an Alesis SR16 ($149.00) You've got the basics for makin music. Just a thought and lots of luck :)

By the way, Studio One has unlimited tracks and supports RTA's, VST plug-ins, and more. Not recommended if you don't have a dual core processor in your PC and at least 4 MB of RAM. It will sound its best if u do.

I thought that Studio One Artist didn't support third party plugins? Only the Pro version does that.

I think he means 4GB of RAM. Modern linux's wont even run on 4MB of ram anymore. The more RAM, the more you can do for longer before issues related to RAM start to creep in. You will need a 64bit OS and other things to take advantage of RAM > 4GB.

$300 isn't much. And one must know the mantra, buy cheap, buy twice. But everyone has to start somewhere. With drums, you'll probably want more than two tracks. So the lexicon omega / alpha / whatever else are good suggestions. Presonus firepod or whatever they're calling it this week. But beyond your budget. Buying used can get you more for less. And when you go to sell your cheap stuff, it's not as big a hit on the investment.

What are you looking for in terms of number of channels and stuff. For now and down the road? Drums generally means 8 channels +/- depending on your needs. If you need to do drums and the group, you might need more than that. Which is kind of moot as you can't do that quantity on $300 AFAIK. Just 8 used SM57/SM58's will likely run $400 (mics only).

It's great to tell him buy more/more/more, but he's got a budget! For now, look at a 2-channel interface, when you're ready to move up, then there are lots of options.

You might be right about Studio One Artist

I had it for a very short period of time before I upgraded. I am pretty sure that Studio One Artist came with EZ drummer Lite and Guitar Rig 3 or 4. I can't remember. Studio One is perfect for me because I like the drag and drop option when inserting effects and I love the virtual instruments - Presence and Mojito. Every so often just for having it they allow you free downloads of new sound sets for their virtual instruments. Everyone keeps saying to get Pro Tools....it's all the same shit. If you have talent, it will show regardless.

Back