Finally built some Gobo's !!!

Randy5235

Finally got off my ass and got started building them they (had some MDF scrap left so the unusualy size was the best i could manage) are 4'8" tall and each panel is 2' wide. woohoo!!

Attachments

• p1010045.jpg
    p1010045.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 642
6" insulation (the pink stuff) they work REALLY well! I think its either r 13 or R 19 can't remember bought it awhile back.

Pretty cool Randy. I think, if it were me, I'd get some hardwood planks and trim out those 2x4's. It'd look a whole lot nicer, and could still be done on the cheap.
Oak, Birch, Willow, anyone of those, in dimension lumber, can be had pretty cheap and its usually iin stock at Home Depot.

What's on the other side? Plywood?
If so, maybe cover that in the same cloth thats on the front and it'd still be reflective.

You've got the function down pat, and with a little more thought on the form, it'd be first class!

Hay I just made 3 sets
Tip - turn the hinges backwards they will not open all the way
But they will not fall on your toes

Good Luck

Attachments

• gobo.jpg
    gobo.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 534
I think that I'm going to make some of my own gobo's over spring break...I can get free foam from my moms work (packaging company). Any plans or tips online?

If I can find some plexi glass, I might even make some huge ones with windows.

Also an idea, check out business closing out sales and buy cubicle walls for super cheap! I've heard that theywork well and you can get them for dirt cheap...

plans

the last issue of tape op had some plans to make some cheap gobos out of doors. Has anyone tried this?

Re: plans

Wireneck said:
the last issue of tape op had some plans to make some cheap gobos out of doors. Has anyone tried this?

Something like that article would help tons! Too bad I'm in Canada and the subscription isn't free :( Anyone have a scanner? no pressure... honestly!

I need gobo's to put between drums and a huge window in my drum room, so here's my plan...

I am going to get three doors, (cheap, damaged, ot otherwise) and gut/frame out a 2' x 4' hole in the center of each. In the whole, I am putting 2" auralex (to match the other walls). I am then going to hinge them together so the unit folds up for moving or storage. Will this work good?

Oh and Randy, like Michael sad, they could look nicer. But you don't necessarily need to go that far. I just recently made 2'x4' frame out of 2x2"s for my drum room clouds. I simply screwed them together, and then threw on some Minwax wood stain (the same stuff that all house's wood trim is done in) and they look great!

Looks good Randy5235 :)

for your wheels try building something like this. It keeps the gobo tight to the floor.

cheers
john

Attachments

• castors.jpg
    castors.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 355
Hey Chris - a gobo is a movable partition, usually built to be absorptive on one side, and reflective on the other. They are used to help isolate instruments when several are played at the same time, like laying down a rhythm track for example - They can also help tame reflections when recording drums, among other things.

The name "gobo" evolved apparently from the phrase "Go Between" - It's just quicker and easier to say, so it stuck... steve

here is a somewhat crappy (but working idea) of how i built mine they are pretty cheap to build and work VERY well i am pretty impressed with how well the work to be honest.

how come sometimes my posted pics show up and sometimes they are attachments? weird

Attachments

• gobo.jpg
    gobo.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 269
as you can see i'm a hell of an artist ;)
oh yeah you might wanna use cardboard on the inside of the burlap to give the staples more strength
so the staple would go through
cardboard
polyester
burlap
into 2x4

knightfly said:
Hey Chris - a gobo is a movable partition, usually built to be absorptive on one side, and reflective on the other. They are used to help isolate instruments when several are played at the same time, like laying down a rhythm track for example - They can also help tame reflections when recording drums, among other things.

steve

I understand the absorptive side but not the reflective side?
I was thinking of making some out of 2x4 frame fill it with the pink stuff get some 1/2" board for the ends and maybe put some carpet over that to make them look nice. Whould this work? This would be absorbant , how would i add a reflective side?
Or should i be using 703 on the exterior or interior of the gobo?

The pink stuff is useless. Use either rockwool or 703. They are rated and tested by the manufacturer to absorb sound.

The "reflective" side of the gobo is for times when you want to bounce your instrument source off a hard surface, rather than try to contain and knock some of it down.

riley357 said:
The "reflective" side of the gobo is for times when you want to bounce your instrument source off a hard surface, rather than try to contain and knock some of it down.

Ok i see no use for a reflective side( unless i missing the point)
If i was recording a band live all in the same room. i would use gobo's around the amps but the side that faces the drummer why would i whant it to be reflective?

And would i put that rockwool or 703 on the outside and leave the inside of the gobo hollow?(dead air ?)

Back