Final mix check - Thank You

I'm not a fan of the drums, they feel a bit too rushed for this song. A bit less on the hi hat would suit it better in my opinion.

I think you could do a little better with some of the phrasing on the lead lines.

The accompanying acoustic lines are quite good, although they follow the scale a little bit at times.

Your voice sounds nice, I get the vibe of the song here.

For me, it's really only the drums and the lead lines, everything feel seems quite well balanced.

I remember this one from earlier. I think that you've tamed that high peak on the acoustic guitar that I've heard on previous mixes of yours. Although the mix overall could use some mid-high or high frequency in it. Not enough to make it brittle or piercing, but just enough to add a little life. This is when I'd pull out Variety of Sound's (free!) Baxter EQ and put maybe +3 dB on the HF dial, and set the shelving frequency to 4kHz or 7kHz, and put it right before the limiter on the master bus. I find myself doing that a lot to add a little zing into my mixdowns. Sometimes it's just what a mix needs, but sometimes not.
Thanks, I'll probalby save that for the final mastering, getting all the songs to sound similar.

The first verse vocal sounds like you're a little tense. I do this myself as well, that first verse is a bitch to relax and get it right. I've often thought about setting up my recording on a loop so that I can do the vocal for the entire song, then immediately loop back around and do the first verse again while I'm still loose and more confident.

Nah, that' s just my usual vocal issues - the lead vox track was #4 for that session! If I hadn't "relaxed" by that point ... Interestingly, the doubled vox track that Chili commented on (pitch) was #5, and when I threw ReTune on it to check it, yeah it was off on a lot of notes. I left ReTune on it, and faded it down to less than 50% volume of the main track, jsut ot leave a hint of it in there..

The acoustic guitar sounded nice, once the song kicked in. I noticed a little swirly/chorusy effect on it in the intro. It either went away or got covered up after that and it sounded nice.

The lead guitar sounded quite cool.

A borderline pitchy note or two in the vocal. Tone was nice. I'll bet you clear it up a bit with a 5-6K boost. Maybe a cut around 300hz - 400hz. Pull down one of the doubled tracks like 6-8dbs or so. I liked the harmonies.

Drums sounded OK.

Bass was OK. A bit indistinct. I think it's a playing style thing - not a tone thing.

Back