Filmscore/Video Game Soundtrack Newbie

I Got Riffs

I just want to see if there's anyone around here that does this sort of music and actually gets it used. I'm not worried so much about trying to make money - I'd let someone use my music for free, at least to get my foot in the door. I may sound naive, but the artistic integrity of the work would ultimately determine my interest in contributing music.

I'm guessing that the DIY freedoms of marketing a band don't really apply here... so I really don't know where to start. I'm thinking I could find the nearest university that has courses in video game development and beg the college kids to use my music, because I'd really like to keep it at an amateur level and not find myself trying to compete with any professionals.

Any ideas?

You have to meet people and get your name around. Craigslist and Mandy are places to get work for free.

Just an opinion but you shouldn't work for free. Filmmakers expect composers to make music for free just because so many people offer to do music for free as a way to get their "foot in the door". I'm not saying it's deathly wrong but it is a problem for other composers who are actually trying to make a living doing it.

I'm a student right now with a modest credit list on independent films. I've also scored a radio documentary, iphone app and full length indie(which is actually premiering today:)). www.ericgieg.com is my crappy self made website if you want to see who you're talking to..

Your creative content deserves compensation. "Credit and a copy of the movie" is not what I mean by compensation. Ask for something, anything. If it's not your friend you deserve to make some money for your trade.

Watch this video and maybe you'll see my point of view a little bit.

http://www.8164.org/pay-the-designer/

Good luck! It's a tough world out there especially if you're trying to make some money doing this. You have to meet people and build your network .. same with any other music profession.

Eric

Back