File conversion problem - adding unwanted silence

Hi, all. I'm trying to create a seamless audio loop for a Flash presentation and everytime I try to save the wave file as an mp3, there's silence added to the beginning and end of the clip...?

I've tried "Save as mp3" in Sound Forge 7 and even converting my wave file to an mp3 with CDex (CD ripper/mp3 encoder) and either way, I end up with a very small fraction of a second (like .05) on both ends of the clip, which ruins the seamless edit.

Any suggestions? Is there a setting that's screwed up on SF7/CDex? Is there another way to convert wav to mp3? Please help...

J

Never heard of this...

Are you using the LAME encoder from within Sound Forge/cDex?

In CDex, yes -- Lame Version 1.30. In SF7, it's whatever is included in the program. Looks like Fraunhofer IIS -- their Web site is in German, so it's not much help...

Well, LAME and Fraunhofer are different codecs. Fraunhofer is better.

I don't see any reason silence would be added with either of them but go to Options -> Settings in cDex and make sure LAME is selected.

If it is then I don't know...

Have you tried opening the mp3 file that you created in SF and cutting out the added silence then re-saving it as an mp3?

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately...

danny.guitar -- yes, LAME is selected in CDex and it still adds in the silence.

Ford Van -- yes, I've tried saving cutting out the silence and resaving. Everytime I save as an mp3 in SF7, it adds the silence.

Any other suggestions?

How are you checking that there is silence added? It could be that Flash isn't looping the file properly and there is a short delay before the song ends and begins again.

But if you've checked in a WAV editor to see if there's silence, then I don't know. Maybe you could upload the WAV and someone can convert it to MP3 for you. At least it would be a temporary solution.

Also, the version of LAME installed on my computer is 1.32, and yours is 1.30. I doubt it has anything to do with it, but maybe you could try uninstalling your current LAME and installing the newest version, and not using SF7 to save as MP3.

I remember a friend of mine having this SAME exact problem, he was never able to solve it with .mp3's.

I just tried in Wavelab too, and the same thing was happening.

You may need to head to a more appropriate bbs to get answers on this, or post this question maybe in the Cave, where some of the web developers hang out.

Due to the nature of the mp3 file format and compression routines, an mp3 file is compressed in chunks of 1152 bytes at a time. This has been a problem for a long while, and will never be fixed. Along with the compression, IDv3 tags & various copyright information is embed into the mp3 file also. The only way you will be able to do this, is to keep it as wave, and encode it using your flash

Mindset said:
Due to the nature of the mp3 file format and compression routines, an mp3 file is compressed in chunks of 1152 bytes at a time. This has been a problem for a long while, and will never be fixed. Along with the compression, IDv3 tags & various copyright information is embed into the mp3 file also. The only way you will be able to do this, is to keep it as wave, and encode it using your flash

That make sense! Thanks. :)

Back