Figured it out why, now what do I do?

MONTE

I have been trying to figure out why I can't get my overall CD volume up to current "standards", and I have discovered that many of my tracks (mixing with a daw) have higher peaks in one direction than the other (especially drums). I scanned the files for DC offset, and the program says there is none. The wave form is centered, but the initial attack of the sound goes (for instance) up to 0db in the positive direction, but maybe only -3db to -6db in the negative direction. Obviously this is going to limit the overall volume before clip. My question is, "What should I do about this?" . If I add a DC offset to the wave to better center it, will this create adverse effects to the sound? Should I just limit the sound some more to "chop off" the peaks in one direction? There must be a "best" way to correct this problem. The sounds have already been compressed and limited quite a bit, but maybe more won't hurt? If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. At least I know finally why I can achieve a good sounding mix, but can't get volume before clip! Thanx in advance to all who reply!

It's just me adding to my own thread...By the way, if anyone can tell me how these sounds got this way to start with that would also be cool. Is this normal, or is something f&^%$ up with my sound cards? I'm using 2 Laylas by Echo and used a Mackie board to preamp the inputs (just used the in and direct outs of the channels- preamps only). Thanx

I have seen cheap converters do this very thing.

I some cases, your mic preamp could be contributing to this too.

Another point for "Buy cheap, buy twice". But seriously, you may have some problems with some internal electronics, cabling, possibly the AC you are powering stuff with.

Oh, I have seen aging tube gear do this same effect.

Anyway, didn't really answer the question for you, probably just created more. There are a few around here with some great electronics backgrounds that will hopefully save the day! :)

Ed

ok i hope this illu startion works... is this what your wavs look like?

0dB -1dB -2dB -3dB
/\ \/ /\ \/
-3dB -6dB -9db

not those exact numbers, but in the effect where its decreasing at a slower rate on the negative side consistenly? or am i just being more confusing?

Actually, the top half of the waveform stays pretty consistently at one level. I've normalized the tracks, so that's around 0 db. It's only the bottom half that seems to sit about -3 db to -6 db. I'ts like maybe there's more potential from center to top 0 than there is from center to bottom 0 causing me to reach clip while only using about 66% of my total energy. Obviously this is not acceptable. Any more ideas. One thing that might help is that it seems to be on tracks with lots of peak program material. I don't see it on guitars and bass. Strange?

Me again...By the way I bought the Mackie VLZ board because of its supposedly quiet and higher dynamic range preamps. The Laylas I bought because at the time hardly anyone else was making anything for PC. They also had the lowest latency specs available. Believe it or not, if you look at their specs (assuming they're accurate) they should be a pretty good unit at any price. Anyway, my point is that I bought this stuff for its specs, not the price. If someone can guide me in a better direction, I'll gladly listen. I want this to work. I could give a shit about price! I'll try to shut up now so someone can hopefully help...Thanx

I'm posting this so that if anyone else has a similar problem it might help...
I did some troubleshooting last night, and I noticed that only the tracks recorded through my first Layla were screwed up. Pretty easy from there! I ripped the thing apart and found that a defective bridge rectifier in the power supply was taking a dump when there were larger power supply demands (peak signals like kick, snare, etc.). I replaced the rectifier and all is good. A funny thing happened though...I had to edit some tracks that night and I new one of the Laylas was messed up so I swapped all ins and outs to the other Layla which had been a secondary. About an hour into the night it totally died (no power LED or anything). After gutting that Layla also, I found the same rectifier bad! I replaced both with a higher current bridge rectifier so as to prevent future problems.
I am still looking for a solution for repairing the tracks already recorded and messed up if anyone can help. I tried hard limiting and it gets me a symmetrical waveform so that I can get some volume, but it (of course) sounds pretty squashed. If someone knows of a plugin or a way to "regain" just the lower half of the wave to boost that instead of squashing the top half, please let me know. I've been doing some serious web surfing, but no luck yet. I may have to just re-record the sessions, and that would suck!
Thanx to all who have tried!

i suggest that you write to echo and tell them of their shoddy workmanship. this is about the 100th problem ive heard of someone having with their power supply. non have really been this extreme.

Back