Fighting Shadows (looking for feedbacks)

Emusic

Here is a creation we just made.
Fighting Shadows MP3
Hopefully someone will care to give feedbacks on the tune and on the mix itself.
Thanks.

Credits: Wahl, Ardon, Dahle. Main vocals by Dahle. Song is Tono registered in Norway. This song was made particulary as a Norwegian IDOL 2005 suggestion track. So yeah - we know - the approach is a tad commercial :)

1. The beginning of the vox sounded odd to me. Reverb maybe?

2. I liked the song. Then again I likes me some pop.

3. The vox sounded a little distant at times. I am not quite articulate enough to describe this phenomenon, so I'd take the criticism with a grain of salt, were I you.

4. I couldn't understand the lyrics after "You won't find me fighting shadows" and at a few other times

5. Good structure.

6. The lyrics I heard, I pretty much liked. Particulary that line about a bible story.

7. Occasionally, I think the arrangement is a tad low for ::checks credits:: Dahle's voice. Particularly that time she sings a response in the second chorus, and the little bridge following the second chorus. That really doesn't do much to diminish a great vocal performance on her part. Great tone. Sounds right on for the song.

All things considered, I'd pay to listen to it. :)

Thank you very much for taking time to write such a detailed feedback. She´s got a great voice for sure. Spot on mostly all the time, and her timing is excellent. I couldn´t find the lyrics in a txtfile, but since you used that much time giving a feedback I will type the lyrics here:

Fighting Shadows

It was allways easy, living like a breeze
you were all around and all the days went by with ease
but now that you are gone I´m not so self-assured
my smile is lost for anything and I´m feeling insequre

but you won´t find me fighting shadows in your yard
I´ll be a bygone soaring somewhere with the stars
no you won´t find me fighting shadows in your yard
our days are over baby, now it´s time to part
sad as it is, oh-yeah, sad as it is, sad as it is

sometimes at night I´m mourning for a love that´s buried now
someway I hear you calling but I´m moving on somehow
I saw you slowly changing into what I feared the most
restless and stone hearted, a wreck from coast to coast

sad as it is, oh-yeah, sad as it is

for such a long time I´d been waiting for the one
you we´re my destiny but now those days are gone

(repeat once until)

Thanks again!

Having read those, I absolutely misheard some of those lyrics. I thought the second line of the chorus was "I'll be a bible story somewhere with the stars." "In your yard" was how I thought the 1st and third lines ended but to tell the truth it wasn't clear. I don't know if its just me or not.

I haven't been able to listen to the tune itself, but from the lyrics you posted I noted something you may want to be cautious about.
Third line, first verse, your lyric: "but now that you are gone I´m not so self-assured"

Third line, first verse, Beatles "Help" lyric: "But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,"

I'm not sure that any copyright laws are being broken--I'm not a lawyer.

Otherwise, it was pretty good.

Thanks. Hopefully you can listen to the tune as well.
Yeah I´m aware of the similarity. No copyright broken though. Imagine how many times the line "i love you" is used in lyrics. If the first one that ever used it owned it, it would be hard to write any song lyrics - as everything is mostly said before, one way or another.
Thanks.

Emusic said:
Thanks. Hopefully you can listen to the tune as well.
Yeah I´m aware of the similarity. No copyright broken though. Imagine how many times the line "i love you" is used in lyrics. If the first one that ever used it owned it, it would be hard to write any song lyrics - as everything is mostly said before, one way or another.
Thanks.
True enough. Glad you're "legal". I'll try to get a listen when I can.

Emusic said:
Here is a creation we just made.
Fighting Shadows MP3
Hopefully someone will care to give feedbacks on the tune and on the mix itself.
Thanks.

Credits: Wahl, Ardon, Dahle. Main vocals by Dahle. Song is Tono registered in Norway. This song was made particulary as a Norwegian IDOL 2005 suggestion track. So yeah - we know - the approach is a tad commercial :)

Start from the beginning. Good tracks but mix it with no effects at all. When you are satisfied with the raw mix, then decide what effects to add. It just seems that the vocals are buried with effects and dominate the whole thing. I think that working on the raw mix and finding the "place" in the mix for each instrument and the vocals will "fatten" the sound. You will find that you don't need so much reverb and other effects.

Quantagee said:
Start from the beginning. Good tracks but mix it with no effects at all. When you are satisfied with the raw mix, then decide what effects to add. It just seems that the vocals are buried with effects and dominate the whole thing. I think that working on the raw mix and finding the "place" in the mix for each instrument and the vocals will "fatten" the sound. You will find that you don't need so much reverb and other effects.

I'm inclined to agree

Please, if you got time. Read through these final lyrics

Ok the song is allmost finished. We are going to post the final mp3 here. Just need a final feedback on the lyrics.
The lyrics fits so nicely into the rythm and the melody line. Do you see any errors or any phrases etc that totally is bad or doesnt make sense?
Any input greatly appreciated - good or bad.
Thanks in advance

-----------------------------------------
Tell me why, this dusk never ends
this darkest stage of twilight makes no sense
an everlasting winter in our souls
this path looks dark - black as coal

(chorus)
When our days of wealth has stumbled I fear that you will see
that our days of faith has crumbled, nothing left for you and me
when our days of wealth has stumbled I´m hoping you will see
that the world we had went jumbled, from the best that it could bee-

And fear is pumping through our veins
running to something without a face
every other day we leave
to where we cannot - cannot perceive

(chorus)

(bridge)
if see us all falling
and the scaring part is we don´t care
it´s like we´re all crawling
so completely unaware

(background vocal lyrics refrain after bridge)
Take back now what we did
what we did - what we di-i-id
thats all that matters
all that matters to me

(chorus) x
-----------------------------

Ouch sorry. Disregard please. I posted this in the wrong thread.
Can an operator please delete these 2 posts from me?
Thanks.

Well the song is boring and typical. The lyrics are not interesting enough to keep anyone listening. It is all about someone who is sad about a lost love...overdone, and the song brings nothing new to the genre. The whole song is hung on the line "no you won't find me..." It's not really connected to the song in anyway. It doesn't bring some massive point home which is really what you need if you are going to repeat a line that many times.

The recording is a complete wash in every respect.

I would scrap it and start fresh.

Good luck.

The reason why this jumped to the top was that I posted in the wrong thread.
Yeah this tune is ditched allready. It ain´t good ^

We just decided to take this song for a respin. Here is a new arrangement and a headphonemix based among others, on some of the inputs that came in this thread.
Fighting Shadows rearranged (headphonemix)
The main vocal track here is an old one and the only one I didnt find without a destructive reverb edit on it. Its not done with our AKG C 414 B-XL II, but on a cheap Generis.
Comments appreciated.

Back