Few pre-purchase questions about the vf160

cerulean

Hi everyone.. I am considering purchasing the vf160 as my first digital multitracker and have 10 questions -- thanks in advance if you decide to reply.. :)

1. Is there a place to download the manual? I tried the link on Fostex's site but it was invalid.

2. I'm interested in connecting the VF to my computer via ADAT .. I understand the interface transfers 8 tracks at a time .. Is this in realtime or does it have a high-speed transfer mode? (Ie if I record an hour worth of music on the VF, is there anyway to automate and quickly dump songs into Sonar?)

3. When connected via the ADAT interface, do the inputs on the VF route directly to the computer? (ie I could hook into the VF and record directly to the computer w/o recording to the VF first)

4. Is it possible to record MIDI data to the VF? (my thoughts: I am going to be recording with an electric violin -- it has MIDI, so it would be nice to record that and then have the flexibility of downloading that data to Sonar and then correcting/replaying with one of my VL synths..)

5. Can I connect mics to the 1/4" inputs with a simple XLR->1/4" cable or do I need to run through a mixer/transformer/etc?

6. Interface-wise, people seem to say the Fostex is generally more difficult to operate then other machines.. Is this true? Or is it a case of a bad-manual?

7. If I was to get a unit within the next day or two, would I be crazy to think I could do a recording session with it on Monday (the 18th) and have some good results (demo cd quality) -- inputs include female vocals, piano, violin... (I've done this type of a recording before with tape & hauling my computer system... (mix down to one track however..)) -- I still plan on doing final mix/etc using my computer system.

8. Any other tidbits I should know (ie: Don't get the VF160, check out XYZ product -- it might fit your needs better..)

9. Is there a version of the VF160 w/o the CD drive? (it appears that Musicians Friend has a VF160 listed for $800 and it doesn't mention the CD drive..)

10. Any good places to buy the VF? :)

2) It's real time.

3) Yes they do but in order to do so you must select the direct recording mode on VF and select the tracks to be routed and press the rec button to enable recording like you were about to record into the VF instead of the computer. IMPORTANT NOTICE: You don't have to record to VF first just make the rec button blink and you're set.

4) I'm almost positive that you cannot. It's not a harware sequencer. The midi i/o is there for syncing purposes and to select mixer scenes on the fly.

5) Just the cable or a suitable adapter.

6) Since it packs so much features in such a small package I can't think of any ways to make it easier to use. Of course there's a learnig curve but that's the price I'm willing to pay for the features. The manual is not perfect but if you've ever read a Behringer manual then this is like poetry.

7) I think you'd better first spend a day or two with the manual and the machine to learn the basic recording procedures and to get to know the functions of every button.

8) If you're not afraid of second hand units you'll save some money if you find a used VF 16 which is technically the same machine without the CDRW. If you upgrade the VF16's firmware to the latest version you'll have all the features of VF160 except for the CDRW, of course. You'll need an external scsi Zip or Jaz drive for the upgrade an dthe upgrading process itself takes less than a minute.

9) The CDRW is an option.

Good Machine. Fairly easy to learn basic functions. Poor manual, but you should be able to download it at American Musical Supply web site. I bought mine a zzounds and was happy with the service. Good Luck

i bought it..

Just to follow up, I ended up buying a used VF-16 as well as a Terratec EWS88d ADAT card for the computer..

Got the VF-16 yesterday afternoon... was up and recording really quick on the unit.. works really nice.. hooked up my Behringer MX1604 for additional mic-pres and that worked without a hitch..

Initial thoughts on the unit:

- The trim knobs seem to be a bit umm.. exponentally heavy -- seems like I am cranking it almost 100% to get a good level on the mics (though if i slightly touch it, then i start clipping.. grr..)

- I like direct mode.. plug in, select the record tracks and record .. i don't think it can get simpler.. :)

- Pedal punch-in -- never had this feature before, but really like it.. :) seems a lot easier than setting punch-in/punch-out points, especially for vocal tracks..

In anycase, still have lots to learn (bus mode, marks, scenes, etc..) but so far, really happy .. :) thanks to PeteHalo for initially mentioning the VF16 to me (in another thread)

BTW -- any ideas on a digital mixer (ie VM88 style) for additional XLR inputs? Seems like the VM88 would be ideal, but haven't found any (new or used) -- 8 mic inputs would be ideal, but it seems to get something like that, I'd end up spending $1000+ not to mention getting a lot larger board (something small and portable is nice.. :)

the numbers..

I ended up paying $560 for the VF-16 .. the unit is in awesome condition .. came with a 10GB hard drive and 3.10 OS ..

Paid about $175 for the TerraTec EWS-88D w/cables .. so all-in-all, ended up paying about $735 + S/H ..

Now I'm looking around for a VM88 or similar digital mixer so I can get a few more balanced XLR inputs w/ADAT to the Fostex. The Behringer MX1604 works pretty good, but it adds a lot more cables, etc to the mix as well as noise (it seems like the VM88 would be less noisy since it transfers digital to the VF-16?) -- any other ideas for a mixer? I'm also thinking about getting just a simple cable to go from 1/4" to XLR and hooking a mic to see how that sounds...

Midi capable

The VF160 is midi capable. I don't use it for that, but it has the capability. These things are a steal for about $800 (with CD burner) now. (I paid $836 free shipping in September by making a bidwar between a few companies).

Re: the numbers..

cerulean said:
I ended up paying $560 for the VF-16 .. the unit is in awesome condition .. came with a 10GB hard drive and 3.10 OS ..

Paid about $175 for the TerraTec EWS-88D w/cables .. so all-in-all, ended up paying about $735 + S/H ..

Now I'm looking around for a VM88 or similar digital mixer so I can get a few more balanced XLR inputs w/ADAT to the Fostex. The Behringer MX1604 works pretty good, but it adds a lot more cables, etc to the mix as well as noise (it seems like the VM88 would be less noisy since it transfers digital to the VF-16?) -- any other ideas for a mixer? I'm also thinking about getting just a simple cable to go from 1/4" to XLR and hooking a mic to see how that sounds...

nice score. I also use the ews-88D. excellent card.
I would skip the vm88 and go for the vm200. Basically the same mixer plus motorized faders. you can find them on ebay in the $300 range. The vm200 can also interface with your pc so you don't have to do mouse mixing and the faders will respond to onscreen faders as well.

I am a newcomer to the Vf160 as well as this site so am very naive about most of these things .
Interesting to note that most of you seem to be from the good old US of A which explains why the answers take so long to come thru , you are probably in bed every time I write . I am from UK !
As regards pricing etc , over here in England , the best price at the moment is around 645 UK pounds (what is that in dollars ???)without the CDR but they all charge an extra 200 pounds for the cdr (extortionate !!) which is why I am curious to know if anyone has ever tried a laptop's cdr from another company etc which must be cheaper . CDRs for PCs are much cheaper .
I have tried the Scsi route but of course that is a much more expensive route .
Anyway, keep the info coming , this is all very very useful !
Good morning America !

I am a newcomer to the Vf160 as well as this site so am very naive about most of these things .
Interesting to note that most of you seem to be from the good old US of A which explains why the answers take so long to come thru , you are probably in bed every time I write . I am from UK !
As regards pricing etc , over here in England , the best price at the moment is around 645 UK pounds (what is that in dollars ???)without the CDR but they all charge an extra 200 pounds for the cdr (extortionate !!) which is why I am curious to know if anyone has ever tried a laptop's cdr from another company etc which must be cheaper . CDRs for PCs are much cheaper .
I have tried the Scsi route but of course that is a much more expensive route .
Anyway, keep the info coming , this is all very very useful !
Good morning America !

Don , this site is actualy for the VF16 not VF 160 , but I am not sure how different the machines are , as some of the functions do seem identical.

Back