Few more questions about Delta Cards

Boseafus

Hi all,

I am going to buy a new sound card and have read many posts on the delta series of cards but still had a couple of questions:

I would like to record guitar, bass, keyboard, and vocals all seperately. I don't have a mixer yet and am not sure if I will need one if I get the Delta 66. My plan is to use the pre-amps on the delta 66 and do my mixing on the computer?

Or should I just go for the delta 44 and and buy a decent mixer with pre-amps?

I am on a bit of a budget so If I go the mixer route it will probably be a Behringer.

Also, I see that the 66 has 2 pres. and supports midi but what else makes this card different from the 44?

Thanks

Nate

the main difference is that the 66 has digital i/o , the 44 doesn't....however, this is just the soundcard...the omni studio package has a breakout box that links to either card and provides preamps and other 'mixer' features.. the omni studio comes with the 66, not the 44..but you can buy the breakout box separately and it works with the 44......if you are just going to record track by track , this is a great way to go....neither card has midi, but you can use a soundblaster for that.

J,
Thanks for your reply.

It does look on their website though that the Omni has to be purchased seperate from the 66 as well.

Also, I am a total newbie so I guess I didn't understand the S/PDIF wasn't used for midi? In fact, what exactly is S/PDIF used for?

Thanks again,

B

S/PDIF = Sony/Phillips Digital Interface

It's used for taking a binary stream of audio information.

So, something that has a digital output - like say, a digital mixer...you would run S/PDIF into your sound card.

Or....ummm....cd players have digital outputs, some of that Line6 POD amp modeler type stuff...

What this basically does is puts the burden on the Digital to Analog conversion on your core component. Though D->A isn't as brutal as A->D. Still cuts down on what the unit itself is doing, lets your better equipment process it...and it is more lossless, becuase you dont run your signal through analog cable into the card, et.

Speaking of which, if you had a better A->D converter, like an Apogee, you could run digitally out from that, into your soundcard....thus, using a very nice and top end converter in your system...

Its just a digital input. Midi is Midi (instructions for playback)

It does look on their website though that the Omni has to be purchased seperate from the 66 as well.

The Delta Omni studio package includes the Delta 66 and the Omni breakout box for around $429.

Yeah...after doing a bit of reading...the Omni Studio looks like the way to go. No need for a cheap behringer board taking up space when the Omni has everything I am going to need.

thanks again all.

Nate

BTW, 8th Street Music (http://www.8thstreet.com) has the Omni Studio for $389. I couldn't find it any cheaper anywhere. FWIW, I'm extremely happy with the performance/features on the Omni Studio! Only thing I don't like is that there are so many features they really should have put it in a bigger case. The knobs are so small and close together that it can make it hard to adjust things. Other than that, it's a great combo!

Back