fender

Now look, I know everybody likes different things. But there is no way in Hell that an Ibanez sounds like my vintage Tele......and PODS don't sound like tweed tubes amps.

The only problem is that Fenders often don't sound like Fenders, either.

Really, there are only a couple of distinctly Fender sounds, primarily the accidental out-of-phase positions on the Strat and the distinctly "country" Telecaster twang - and the ability of individual Fender instruments to duplicate these trademark sounds varies widely.

Other than that, I can't tell Fenders from any number of other guitars, and you can't either. The other less distinctive settings sound pretty generic, and I seriously doubt anyone could pass a blindfold test on this.

I have no doubt that any number of guitars sound like a Strat with the middle pickup on, for example, or vice-versa, especially if you are _trying_ to duplicate sounds.

Daddy-O said:
and PODS don't sound like tweed tubes amps.

Maybe you should have bought a J-Station. :D

Honestly, with a bit of tweaking in J-Edit, their Tweed models sound relatively convincing to me, and I've had fairly extensive experience with early Fender amps, starting with my pre-Tweed 1949 Pro which I will restore as soon as I can get some cloth made for it.

Fenders cool, But !!

I new a guy who new a guy.....no names

after spending some time with the band and laughing at the lead singer for playing a "citation" accoustic, he procedded to go on stage between sets and play some amaaaaazing blues slide guitar.

the moral of the story is....If you like it, Play it.

Howlin' Dog

I'm sure any number of cheap guitars can sound as good or better than my MIJ strat or my MIM tele. I'm fine with that. I bought them because few other guitars felt as good in my hands. That, to me, means more.

bongolation said:

Maybe you should have bought a J-Station. :D

The newest pieces of equipment I own is my instrument cable and strings....other than that, everything is pretty much vintage or old depending on how you look at it.

Everybody needs to remember this: Just becuase it says Fender, Gibson, or C.F. Martin on the headstock does not mean it's a better instrument. If you like it, buy it. And again, there is no way in Hell a brand new Ibanez sounds like my vintage Tele.

If you want something doing, and properly at that-do it yourself. If you have the time, cash, contacts (for parts) and inclination by all means make your own guitar to stand by.

Back