Fender: Strat vs Tele

The great state of Texas, Tejas es Americo

votes AYE

and would like to note Buddy Holly and Stevie Ray Vaughn as witnesses to the here and after voting on LEO's inventions.

how does one man, not only manufacture a Precision and Jazz bass, but then a strat, and a tele...and the amplifiers lines???..........

frkn amazing...or depressing :p

cephus said:
Ok. No point of discussing further. The Great State of Mississippi has declared the Stratocaster superior to the Telecaster. Please stand by for further instructions where to drop off your teles for disposal.

I don't know if it was short attention span or reading comprehension, but the discussion was which costs more to make, a strat or a tele, since they cost exactly the same retail.

Insurance man, you're a captain of industry and love money. I'm interested in your opnion on the subject.
Well, I was responding to your comment:
cephus said:
But, a strat won't sound like a tele. Once you already have a few strats, it would seem the only reason to buy another would be so you could line them all up on your couch tot ake a picture to post to the harmony central guitar forum.

Can a nashville tele sound like a strat?
04-05-2007 03:08

You tell me...what did that have to do with which costs more, a strat or a tele?

I don't want to get in to trading insults because this is not the cave...but, maybe your attention span or reading comprehension needs a check also.

I would say that a strat costs more to make than a tele because of the body contours, the extra pickup and electronics, and the trem.
That's just a guess...I have never seen anything printed by fender that backs that assumption up.

I have both and I can truly say,it's better to have both. :D

Have you thought about a B-bender?That's one trick a Strat can't do. :cool:

Acid's got it right, I too have both.

Back to the original (pointless) question..........."Which costs more to make?" ..........that will vary depending on the specifics of each individual model and is something only Fender themselves could accurately answer.

Maybe the question should have been "Who gives a rat's arse about Strat vs Tele production costs?" :rolleyes:

:cool:

in manual labor costs, I vote the Strat.

the Stratocaster has more curves, the bullet-cable plug jack and horns...so its obvious, imo, the Strat was more labor in woodworking.

Probably some more parts cost, as far as hardware, with the Stratocaster ..tremelo/whammy and cable bullet (another amazing invention)....switching of 5 instead of 3, pickups=3 instead of 2 on the tele.

the tele is a flat block cut.
this is assuming the woods are the same, say Alder.

now its probably all automated equipment doing the cutting, so this may change things, I would think? I think someone mentioned they still sand the pieces...

Now todays Fender system structure...lord only knows where or how the piece parts are made and if a tuning peg from a $12,000 strat is any different than tuning peg from a Mexico $400 BOX OF PARTS all made in Malaysia or wherever thew cheapest cost is this month.

its so global....fhk it....pointless

they have $149 Tele Butterscotch that are cool. and playing one in GC, it sounded and played really really well. However, some have posted the tuning pegs fell off in their hand... :confused:

Last edited:
I just noticed that Jazz basses are about $90 more than the same class Precision, too. Bass players are smart. They don't fall for the same stuff that guitar players fall for.

Back