Fender Prosonic

daav

Flailing up a storm.
There is one for sale locally, thoughts on these? Some review seem to indicate that they are really flexible, but there is a solid state component? Normally i wouldn't venture into solid state...

Daav

I used to own a prosonic for a while and can tell you that it's defintley a cool amp. It's all tube with a selectable output that give you options for 30 watts (tube rectified), 50 watts (tube rectified) and 60 watts (ss rectified). It definately has the fender mojo going on for the cleans and can melt down most marshalls on the gain side. The EQ is active, so it takes a little time to tweak and the reverb is outstanding. It's also a very LOUD amp.

I used to own a prosonic for a while and can tell you that it's defintley a cool amp. It's all tube with a selectable output that give you options for 30 watts (tube rectified), 50 watts (tube rectified) and 60 watts (ss rectified). It definately has the fender mojo going on for the cleans and can melt down most marshalls on the gain side. The EQ is active, so it takes a little time to tweak and the reverb is outstanding. It's also a very LOUD amp.

thanks, that is helpful, any idea of a 'standard" cost for one of these used?

I'd say $600-$800 depending on the condition and if it's a head or a combo. FWIW, I don't think that the heads have reverb, only the combos.

prosonic is my main amp. I got mine for about $700 on ebay. pristine condition head. yes the heads are reverb-less. Not a bad deal considering I fell in love with the prosonic in the mid-90s when they were still making them; i remember trying it out for hours at my local music store; price was a cool $2100 for the combo.

Unless I misread the manual, aint nothing solid state whatsoever about the prosonic. It was a fender custom shop, all-tube model. The class A power really tears apart a club. I run mine through a marshall vintage lead 4x12; hey - i was playing punk rock in my last band! haha. I rarely took the clean channel above 3. The distortion is the finest I've heard in an amp, and to my ears is way nicer than mesa distortion. I'd expect nothing less than something Bruce Zinky designed.

The only disclaimer about the Prosonic that you probably want to know - the way the circuitry works (it's something peculiar to the way Zinky designed it and the electrical engineering concepts are beyond me), you get a relatively loud pop when switch channels. I have tried several prosonics and confirmed with several owners this is normal. It is. It doesn't bother me, but just fyi

Back