fender pro reverb amp

willovercome

anyone use the fender pro reverb amp (1x12)? i like the deep body and the jenson speaker and the 1/4 power switch. i've only been able to play it in a shop with about three dozen other amps balsting metalica and led zeplin, so i don't have a real accurate picture of its sound.

willovercome said:
anyone use the fender pro reverb amp (1x12)? i like the deep body and the jenson speaker and the 1/4 power switch. i've only been able to play it in a shop with about three dozen other amps balsting metalica and led zeplin, so i don't have a real accurate picture of its sound.

Yea, that is a hard way to test an amp. That always seem to happen to me too. Everytime I go to listen to an amp or guitar I get in the middle of some 16 year old blasting some Matalica song..

Check this link out on that Amp..

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Fender/Pro_Reverb-01.html

I have played on one a couple times while trying to decide on a Pro, Deluxe, or Super Reverb. The ProReverb was the first one that got my attention.

...but I bought the Super.

More than you could ever imagine.

I like my BJ because I can crank it...but I can also still crank the Super. But like I said in another thread, all the note in the chords just blend so much better on my Super. I honestly think it is the rectifier that helps it because the TwinReverb didn't give me the same feeling. The Pro has a solidstate rectifier, but it still has a lot of the magic. And if you need channel switching then it helps even more.

My advise is to go to guitar center and ask them, no, tell them that you want to BUY an amp. Have them put a couple in one of the rooms. All three GCs here have an amp room. Try out a ProReverb and a couple others. They will be more than happy to set it all up for you. Granted if you don't buy anything that day you will be shunned upon next time you go in:)

mmmmmmm

Almost forgot.

The Reverb on the Blackfaced amp line will take the Hodrod to town and back. Forgot if the Pro has vibrato or not, but my Super is to die for...................just make sure you plug into a grounded outlet;)

45watts doesn't get it for me......just not enough on those gigs where you need the amp to hump.
I have a Hot Rod deVille with 4-10s that I like a lot when it's not broken.....I also have a Vibro-King that I use a lot and an Ampeg ReverbRocket that's a nice amp but like the pro.....it usually doesn't have enough 'oomph' for me.

i've used my 40 watt hotrod deluxe at decent sized venues, and it rocks plenty of volume.

i went to GC today to check out some amps and compare the twin reverb to the pro reverb (100 watts 2x 12 vs 50 watts 1x12). they didn't have any more pro reverbs, and the guy said the whole line was being discontinued (twin reverb, pro reverb, and that 4x10 in the same line). is this true, or was the guy just jerking me to get a quick sale? (if he was it almost worked).

by the way, the twin was amazing. the distortion was actually nice, and the clean was incredable. plenty of volume for yankee stadium.

Of course all these things vary a tremendous amount as to personal needs and taste.....but I used a guy's Hot Rod deluxe (1-12" version) instead of my deVille one night in a medium/small sized blues venue and although it sounded great......it was just a bit shy of being loud enough for me.

willovercome said:
i went to GC today to check out some amps and compare the twin reverb to the pro reverb (100 watts 2x 12 vs 50 watts 1x12).

The twin reverb is only 85 watts. I don't think you could get that much more volume...just more bass so it feels like it.

My super has 4X10's so it blows that Twin out of the water...

...Speaking of which.......

Were you refering to THE TWIN?

Not a TwinReverb?

Then yes...it is 100 watts.

I don't think Fender is going to discontinue the Blackface RI line anytime soon. They are just too much of a main stay in the industry.

I have "The Twin" It is the best amp I have ever owned in 48 years of guitar playing, I have just had it retubed, Sovteks, it originally had RCA's made in India of all places and I thought after replacement time that I preferred the Indian tubes, but it was very slight, either way it's my particular Holy Grail of tone.

If you are not interest in the volume difference, I say check out a Deluxe Reverb. All tube. Its still plenty loud at 22 watts.

Put that next to your Hotrod Deluxe and mmm mmm mmmmmm.

i went ahead and got the 100watt twin. it sounds awesome. i've had it for a few hours and i already love it. we'll see if this lasts. but so far i highly recommend it, unfortunatly they are being discontinued. the 65' reissue will stay for a while from what i've heard.

i opened up the owner's manual, and it says the amp was made and designed in corona CA...i grew up there and i guess the factory was like 4 blocks behind my house!

I know you're pumped up over your new amp!....I would be.
Not that it matters, but I really think you made the right choice to get a bigger amp. I realize volume isn't an issue for you but IF a gig ever comes where you need the extra power....you'll have it. Enjoy your amp man......oh wait!....did I see that the Twin weighs 80lbs?!?!?!:eek:!! Holy Crap! Well.....nothing's perfect. ;)

thanks!

i'm glad i went with the bigger amp too. it has a 1/4 power switch, so i can run it at 25 watts in the house so i don't blow up the room.

yeah 80 lbs :0

willovercome said:
thanks!

i'm glad i went with the bigger amp too. it has a 1/4 power switch, so i can run it at 25 watts in the house so i don't blow up the room.

yeah 80 lbs :0

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but can you hear a difference in volume when the amp is going full boar. I had a marshall half stack and couldn't much of a difference with the 1/2 power switch. Considering the multiple of 10 facter and all. Just maybe a bit more distortion sooner.

yeah it is still really loud at 25 watts, but it distorts way earlier which is really what i wanted, and it has a different tone. i think the 1/4 power switch is good and does exactly what it should. but, it doesn't cut the volume in 1/4 it really cuts it by maybe 20-30%.

And also.....rated power doesn't necessarily tell you a lot. A friend of mine has virtually every great amp made (a major collector with about 100 guitars and around 50 amps)
He recently has been using a Badcat (one of those $4000 salon amps and the heaviest damned thing I've ever seen) and it's rated at 30 watts but it keeps up with all of my higher output amps with ease. While my Ampeg ReverbRocket (40 watts) can't play anything larger than a very small soft gig. It has to do with the power supply and how much current it can put out for small periods of time. The ability to put out a high peak for a milli-second increases the attack volume and thus..the perceived volume. That's why you can play on a lesser amp like a Crate or something like that and it doesn't seem to put out what they claim.

...you have a MasterVolume on that amp, right? If not you should get some custom earplugs for musicians. My Super is 45 watts an I have to let it rip to get that nice Fender Shimmer. I don't even want to think about the dB output of 100 watts:eek:

I know...percieved bla bla bla.........your ears can feel the difference even if they can't hear it.

Back