fender M-80 head

zook250

i am a bass player that is wanting to get a little better at guitar. i have a cabinet with madison symphony speakers and a peavey session 500 head.( the head needs some work) i have a friend that is selling a late 80's fender m-80 head,( i dont know if it is the chorus model, as i havent seen the head in about 12 years) . does anyone have any opinions or advice regarding this head? what would it be worth? my friend has asked me to check the net to find out as much as i can, and then make him an offer.

thanks

As far as I know from reading on Harmony Central (I'm sure there's tonnes of reviews there on this head BTW), because I was considering buying a combo from that series, it is a pretty decent solid state Fender amp. Good cleans and good distortions. It's probably not worth more than a $150-200 but do a seacrh on ebay (you can also search completed auctions) to see what they go for.

Cheers.

I've got an M-80 Chorus Combo (black) with a 15 and an external cab with a 15, and for a long time used it for guitar. It's not too bad, distorted guitars are a bit rough around the edges (for lack of a better phrase) Clean electrics are low heavy but are a nice touch, Acoustics sound nice and warm through it and bass is pretty fat though I'd suggest a good preamp these days. If you can get a good deal on it, and it's in good shape, I'd say go for it, otherwise save a few more bones and get a good Line 6 or something. As far as price goes, the only thing I really have to go by here is in 1991 my combo cost me $849.99 at a local shop. /shrug

thanks for the reply's. i have checked harmony central and the general concensus is that it is a descent head. i have seen it used for bass as well , so it may be able to have a second use as a backup to my regular bass head, i have an mxr m-80 bass di/preamp that works very well and would complement the m-80 head. the singer in my band also plays acoustic guitar , but he usually uses the monitor system for his sound. this head may be worth trying for his acoustic as well. i have read that it has a very nice clean channel sound.

thanks again.

Back