Fender Bronco?

Brohnis

I'll be looking at getting hold of a bass guitar just for recording over the next few months, just seeing what you guys think?

I'm a guitarist so not to hot up on my bass guitar knowledge...I want something easy to play, very very cheap, but decent enough for recording with.

I stumbled across the Fender Bronco...it has a smaller scale neck so that's something that interests me. I own a Fender Mustang which has a smaller scale neck which I LOVE so I guess a bass with a short scale makes more sense for me? I don't have little hands or anything, just like the small sports car feel of the slightly smaller neck!

Any thoughts? They're in my price range but are they any good?!:confused:

Short-scale basses are definitely a beast unto themselves. Their sound will be different than a full-scale bass. You might like the difference in sound, you might not. Comfort is definitely a good quality in an instrument, just make sure that you find an acceptable compromise between feel and sound.

IIRC, Talking Heads bassist Tina Weymouth used a short-scale Fender bass during the group's early days.

Brohnis, PLAY. EVERY. ONE. IN. THE. STORE. And every store in your area til you find the right one. These are budget instruments, so there is a lot of differences in QC between each one you will play. Find the perfect one for you. These are good basses, essentially the modern Musicmaster, similar sound too.

Thanks for the advice. As a guitarist I'm just so ignorant about good cheap basses. And for what I need it for, I just need something half decent to record bass lines with...generally just for acoustic music.

But yes, shall just go and play!!

Look at the Danelectro basses before you decide. Also Gretch has a cool short scale bass in their Electromatic line.

My 2 cents

Also, How you amplify it or otherwise get it recorded is going to be as important as the instrument.

I would recommend a Mustang bass, but you wanted cheap and they ain't. Broncos are kind of unusual. They have a very specific sound, and you'll either love it or hate it. Not a very good choice for an all-arounder, imo. But if you're doing originals, or a specific style, and that sound fits, then go for it.

I've got a short-scale Epiphone EB-O, and I like the sound of it.

Like Milnoque said, the recording method will have a huge impact on the sound, as will the strings you use (way more important on a bass than on an electric guitar).

Good luck.

Interesting. Here is where I'll probably get gunned down by you all but at the moment, having just forked out for a load of new gear, recording the bass was going to be simply a case of plugging it into my interface and hoping for the best

A bass amp is pretty much out of the question for me for a while!

*winces in apprehension of your response*

I'm a guitarist so not to hot up on my bass guitar knowledge...I want something easy to play, very very cheap, but decent enough for recording with.

You should check out one of the cheaper Ibanez bass guitars. They have thinner necks that are easier for a guitarist to get used to. You can find some pretty decent ones used for cheap if you look around.

Interesting. Here is where I'll probably get gunned down by you all but at the moment, having just forked out for a load of new gear, recording the bass was going to be simply a case of plugging it into my interface and hoping for the best

A bass amp is pretty much out of the question for me for a while!

*winces in apprehension of your response*

You won't get gunned down by me. Do the best you can with what you have. Good luck to you.

Back