FENDER BASSMAN '59 help please!

Outlaws said:
It will be just as loud as the DeVille. You will get a nice break up well before it is dimed. But if its too loud I would just get a THD HotPlate for it. That is better than a master volume anyday of the week.

Does the THD HotPlate work for combos too? I've read a little about it and it says that it has to be placed between the speaker output and the speaker cabinet. How do we plug it with combos? Thank you

Colwarter said:
Does the THD HotPlate work for combos too? I've read a little about it and it says that it has to be placed between the speaker output and the speaker cabinet. How do we plug it with combos? Thank you

The combo amp still has a 1/4" jack in the back where the speakers get their signal from. So you plug a short line from the speaker out into the THD, then the speakers plug into the THD output.

I crank the amp up to where it just starts to breakup a bit and then use the volume control on the guitar to turn up or down. Rarely is the volume control on the guitar maxed out and this yields a nice fat, singing tone with just a little hair to it. For low volume gigs I sometimes add a favorite overdrive pedal to simulate that behavior in the amp.
This may not work in your situation but it may be worth a try before spending money on a Hot Plate. Of course, it all depends on what kind of tone you're going for and how much breakup or distortion you want.

Outlaws said:
A Blackface Bassman has nothing in common with a 59 Bassman other than name.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also believe that 65 was the last year for the blackface fender. Silverfacing started after the buyout.

The first couple runs of silver faces still had black face componenets as CBS had yet to run out of parts

And that trick of Terry's to run the amp up and turn the guitar down doesn't work on hotter pickups very well (i.e. Gretsch or Buckers)

Big Kenny said:
And that trick of Terry's to run the amp up and turn the guitar down doesn't work on hotter pickups very well (i.e. Gretsch or Buckers)

You are talking about using the guitars volume to clean up the amp? That works fine with humbuckers in my experience.

Outlaws said:
You are talking about using the guitars volume to clean up the amp? That works fine with humbuckers in my experience.

It depends on the pups & the pots: some affect the volume linearly, some really don't

Outlaws said:
Just the opposite, Run the amp hot and turn the guitar down to get earlier breakup, That doesn't work well in my experience. Works fine for a Tele or Strat, but not on my Gretsch or LP

Back