Fender Bass

Donny

Does anyone out their know anything about the Squier Standard P-Bass?? All I know is that it is a 5 string and is on sale for $250.00 is that a good price and how well do they play and sound?? Donny!!!

$250 seems a pretty good price for a 5 string to my mind but I personally am not impressed by most of the squier basses I have seen so my recommendation would be to try one first. I had a Squier 4 string when I first started it and I found it heavy, cumbersome and.. well... cheap. My 5 string is a Bass Collection SB310 series with J/J pickups. Much more comfortable to play, better balanced etc but it did cost me over £500 (which is about $750+) so I suppose you could expect that. I read a good review of an Alembic 5 string in a budget range once. If you really want to push the boat out get a Musicman they are AMAZING to play. Hope thats of some help!

5 Strings!!

Thanks OneLouder for your reply. I haven't owned a Fender sence the early 70s. It was a "Mustang". It had a short neck but it played nice and it wasn't heavey. If I remember right it went when my first wife went. HA,HA!! I'm going to look at this one Monday. It's on sale till the end of the mouth. I've been thinking about getting a 5 string for some time now. Their's a few tunes I play that I know I could use it on. I play Country and Southen Rock with the group I'm with at present. As you know though, things change very fast in this feild. Most of the Fenders I've played in the past were kinda heavy but not as heavy as a Gibson I once had. After a 4 hour gig with that thing I would be all hunched over. I will say one good thing about it, it sounded real good. Well thinks again and keep on PICKIN... Donny!!!

Squier P-Basses

If you don't necessarily have to have a 5 string,check out the P-Bass Special (Squier). It has the Jazz neck,P/J pickups,and only lists for about $300.00.I think the B string is weak on the 5 string Squier bass.

Pickups

Can someone tell me if the P and J stand for Precission and Jazz on the Fender basses?? If not what do thay stand for?? As I haven't bought a new Bass in about 20 years. By the way I ordered that Fender Squier Stanard P-Bass 5 string. It has two J-type pickups. For $250.00 new I though what the hell!! I'll let ya'all know how it is. If nothing else it should look nice,(Candy Apple Red). I'm getting this through (Daddy's Junky Music) they have 20 stores all over the U.S.A. I think there prices are competitive with most places. Later, Donny!!!

You got the P and J stuff right, Danny. I have always prefered the necks on a Precision. It is wide from cutaways to keys, whereas the Jazz has that awkward taper from about the 5th fret down to the peghead. I got a red 4 string P squire a while ago and am happy with it. Hard to beat for the money.

Tappered neck

Thanks bball jones, I though that's what it ment. I would rather have the tappered neck because I have small hands and some of the walking I do is rather fast. They said, it would be a few days to get one to the store in Syracuse, NY. I live about 35 miles north of there. It's a good store, they have a lot of equpment new and used also they rent so if ya need something for just one gig it don't cost you a leg and an arm. Thanks for the info. and keep on pickin. Later, Donny!!!

Price shouldn't be the only concern.. (don't jump all over me) just go the music store and try the basses. Find one you really like and if you don't have the cash.. save for it. Because getting a $300 bass because you can't aford it is like throwing $300 away.

i love taking a lunch break at the music store and crankin THEIR amps. :)

broch- I'll second that.

Even better, in the middle of making a deal with the salesman, pick up your cell phone, order lunch, and have it delivered to the store.

Also, play the bass through the crappiest amp in the store. If it still sound good, it's a good bass.

hixmix

Thanks!!!

Thanks to all of you that came back to me. I told you I would let you know how I made out. Well I got the Fender and it's a little clumsy right now but I think I'll be able to work with it just fine. The neck is wider than I though it would be but it sounds great. Like anything it'll take a little getting used too. Later,Donny!!!

If I may add my .01 worth. I bought the Squire P-bass 1 1/2
mos.ago on sale for 190.00 to use as a knock-around axe.
It came with Ernie Ball Slinky strings.I also played it thru
a crappy amp and was surprised at how decent it sounded. The
neck action was smooth,and the body felt comfortable.
Complaints...Bend a note,bang you gotta re-tune!Re-place the
keys or use graphite as you will be constantly re-tuning.Also a little more fret-buzz than normal as the metal
fret markers are 16th of an inch higher than normal.
But overall,the Squire is a nice addition for it's price and
performs well compared to my Precision.
Good Luck!
MrQ

5 String

Misteracue, was that one you got a 5 string?? Mine is and for $250.00 I though that was a good price. I played it in a jam session last night through a cheap 10 watt guitar amp and was totally surprised at the sound. I think I'm going to really like this axe. Donny!!!

Back