Fender Bass VI volume/tone crackle?

Unsprung

Last night after work, I decided to try picking out a piano part ("Lady" by Little River Band) with my Bass VI through my POD 2.0, and I was reminded of a slight problem that I've found with it, since I bought it used last month. Whenever I adjust the volume and tone, I get crackling, in both directions on both knobs. I'll be taking it to a tech., first chance I get, but I'll ask here to make sure I'm on the right track, when I do get it to a tech.

My guess is that the pots need replaced, or cleaned and resoldered. Or it could be the caps, or both? I'll have the wiring harness, in general, checked out because I also have a couple of dead switching combinations. I can't complain too much, however, as it was only $700.00 used, and it shouldn't be all that expensive for the work that needs to be done.

Matt

Unsprung said:
Last night after work, I decided to try picking out a piano part ("Lady" by Little River Band) with my Bass VI through my POD 2.0, and I was reminded of a slight problem that I've found with it, since I bought it used last month. Whenever I adjust the volume and tone, I get crackling, in both directions on both knobs. I'll be taking it to a tech., first chance I get, but I'll ask here to make sure I'm on the right track, when I do get it to a tech.

My guess is that the pots need replaced, or cleaned and resoldered. Or it could be the caps, or both? I'll have the wiring harness, in general, checked out because I also have a couple of dead switching combinations. I can't complain too much, however, as it was only $700.00 used, and it shouldn't be all that expensive for the work that needs to be done.

Matt

It is in the pots if it makes noise while you are turning the knobs-a pot is a mechanical device with moving parts, like a switch. Does it have a Strat style pickguard that must be remove for access to the electronics? Or is there access through a control panel like on a Jazz Bass or a Telecaster? If it is the latter try spraying the pots with a contact cleaner spray into the inside of the pot. Avoid getting the spray on the painted finish by the way-it may dull the finish. There is a hole under the 3 pins on the pot that you can squirt the cleaner into-see the diagram. This may just solve you're problem! :)

Attachments

• Tone pot-1.jpg
    Tone pot-1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 17
Make sure that you use a product that says specifically "Control Cleaner". There are a lot of de-greasers out there which might make matters worse. Control cleaners have a superfine polishing agent and also a lubricating agent to keep your pots trouble free for a long time. Any guitar should get a dose of control cleaner every few years or as needed.

chazba

Back