Female pop singer

sk8ingsnowman

I am recording a female pop singer. I usually record rock music.

Does anyone have any TRACKING tricks for getting full sounding vocals so mixing is easier? Any tracking techniques that can just give me cool vocals sounds?

She is a Christina Agulara type singer with a lot of power.

Any info is great. If there are any exsisting threads just point me in the right directions.

Happy Day,
DAN!

You specificely ask for tracking features, but the most important for me is a good setup: the best mic for the voice and a good input signal. I usually don't use compression while recording vocals, or maybe just a little bit when it makes the vocalist more comfortable. Remember that anything you apply in the tracking stage cannot put off afterwards! I would leave the most important processing, if needed, for the mixing stage.

Also remember that EQing a voice too extremely can very quick sound unnatural, and that too much reverb on a vocal can make it muddy. When applying reverb, be carefull with the overal reverb time and feedback, but you can experiment with longer predelay times.

Thanks for the quick reply

My set up is what it is. I use a rode nt1000 into the preamps on my Digi002 rack. I don't want to make small upgrades to this set-up so I am stuck with it until I can afford a real mic and pre-amp.

As for tracking advice I was looking more for info. on what I should lay down before I start messing with eq and FX (I share your views when tracking, get the best performance play later)

I was wondering about whisper trakcs? and other ways to layer vocal takes. My previous work was just comping a vocal adding delay, reverb and EQ if needed.

Are there any tricks to pop music vocals? Or am I looking to deep into it?

Q: What's the difference between a female singer and a Porche?

A: Not every guy's been in a Porche.

Back