female fronted pop rock song mix

Listened to the facebook link, and it sounds much better than youtube.

Overall, it sounds great. The two main things I heard that sounded "off" were that the vocals are way to far back for pop rock, and the reverb sounded a bit cheesey. I'd also get the cynbals more out front.

Again, nice job!

:D

Can't get to FB at work. Listened to the Youtube version. So I can't comment on much other than relative levels. I agree on the vocal level - it's quite a bit too low.

I think a double tracked vocal might sound better. The vocal just sounds thin and weak to me. Borderline pitchy in spots.

vox is a bit soft (too much highs, try to cut them a bit & saturate for mid-boost) & have too much reverb. they are too far away.
guitar sound is maybe a bit too pronounced. i would also decrease the reverb on the drums. the shouts are sounding a bit weird.
on the other hand: good performance. i like the tune :)

I liked it! A couple questions:

1) What type of reverb settings did you use on the snare? I'd like to make my own preset for that sound if/when I ever need it. Been experimenting with various plates now that I can finally mulitrack my drums, but haven't come across that "produced" modern snare sound - more of just a natural sound as of yet (which is ok I guess).

2) Is the kick triggered? If not, what were your noise gate and compression settings to achieve that? I want that sound sometimes where the kick strokes have no dynamic, just all in your face.

I'm gonna drive home the same point, for that genre I consider this mix un-usable. The vocal should come up at least 2-3db maybe more. As it is, the score is Band 90% Vocalist 10% it should be like 60/40 IMO.

Good points guys. I'll have another song/mix soon and take all this into consideration.

Also, the snare reverb is actually a decently long hall reverb with an hpf up to about 200-600hz (i think i'm not in front of my workstation). cutting the low out reduces cluttering other instruments and also enables you to make the reverb a decently high volume with out it taking over your song. plus, that type of setting seemed to work well w/ the rest of the instruments. everything is relative.

i think popping back on the vocal-verb and delay will give it the presence it needs.

Back