Feedback

powerbob247

Http://soundcloud.com/stevemeyers
Okay, so I've added compression to vocal, some reverb, then used multi band compressor default cubase to smooth it out but don't know if this was a good thing to add, it's made it louder, as has the maximiser and limiter on the vocals
Let me know what you think, the style of music is like nofx

I dont like how the drum sounds. It sounds a bit over processed. For the genre it might actually fit though.

The vocals sounds really good, but the vocals are a little loud. Overall the mix is pretty good, good job.

I didn't care for the drums. Way too busy. Maybe that's the genre, but all I could focus on was the drums.

The mix leans towards the left. There is a guitar on the left with nothing to balance it on the right.

The vocal is somewhat pitchy.

Agree on the lopsided-ness to the left side. Record a second guitar track and pan to right to balance it. Vocals sound like they either need to come down a little or compressed with little or no attack. They are very punchy lending it to sound like Karaoke. They just need to blend a little more into the mix. Drums...well they are definitely playing. I realize that its your style and its the genre, but maybe try to add some more variety to it. It sounds lilke we are going 100mph straight through to the end.

reminds me of MxPx, haha. man, i used to listen to this stuff a lot about 15 years ago. nice song, but definitely needs a lot of work. same stuff most people said - lopsided guitars, vocal way too loud and its extremely pitchy, i'd absolutely put some harmonies throughout the song, drums sound overly compressed particularly the cymbals. i do like the tones of the two guitars in the intro.

i'm excited to hear what you'll be able to do in about 6 months. this isn't a half-bad track for the first attempt, and i miss this kind of music. nice job man

Thanks for the advice, I've had a go at tweaking the compression on the drums also sorted that right stereo panning weak link, not touched the vocals yet but will do soon, new version on soundcloud SteveMeyers | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Thanks all

checking out the new version now. right off the bat, the drums sound much better. i think you had the compression too high. Guitar balancing is good until 0:45, then the tune drops in energy because that guitar that faded wasn't replaced by anything. know what i mean? something needs to step up and balance it out again - it doesn't have to be a guitar or loud, just needs something there. i think it's also because only the R guitar rings out and fades when the verse starts. the L guitar suddenly cuts, the R fades, and a middle one comes in. sounds awkward. but this is producing stuff that you'll pick up. again, it doesn't have to be the wide guitars that are playing the octaves, or even very loud, but it feels a little empty

guitar tones sound good, especially the right one. I like the "AHH"'S you added, i'm glad you listened and threw those in there. the cymbals at the end are squishing a bit. Is that drum section on a different track with different settings? toms can come up, in general.

you should email me. i'm interested in your music and the style you're working with. i can definitely help get you to a point where you'll be able to take off on your own.

do you have the drums as one, single track? you should send them out to the main mixing board - that way you can work each piece individually. trust me, it makes a difference.

i'm glad someone here writes pop-punk. it's a good change, and i miss this stuff.

It is promising but needs some fine tuning.

I agree with what others said about the drums. Too busy. The main culprit is that rapid-fire kick drum or bass drum. I know that sort of thing is common in genres like thrash. I'm not a fan of it there either, but it seems out of place in a punk-pop composition. If you like it, you might at least consider thinning out the kick drum hits during certain parts of the song to create more sense of change between, say, verse and chorus. The steady pattern throughout can be monotonous.

Vocals didn't need to be lower in the mix IMO, but they need to blend into the mix better. It sounds a bit like a karaoke where the voice feels divorced from the instrumentation. That's partly a mixing issue and partly a composition issue. I didn't find the pitch to be a problem--it's punk, right? A bit of pitchiness fits the genre. Where I did notice a problem was the rhythmic phrasing of the vocals. It feels like you're fighting the groove in places, rather than the vocals settling into the groove. That's probably a matter of rehearsal. Practicing the vocals for a period of time would likely help them mesh better. You might look at your lyrics and see if they need to be refined in places so that you have the right number of syllables to fit the musical space. To take a silly example, it would be hard to fit a word like "antidisestablismentarianism" into a melodic line that occupies two or three beats.

Robus / andrushkiwt spot on analysis thank you very much the vocals were ad libed I'm afraid to say, my bad and there is NO excuse for it just laziness as lyric wise I find it a challenge to settle for a subject to sing about and be content with it, this is a major issue as in no freestyle expert, if I sat for 5 mins with pen and paper I'm sure I could nail the timing issue with the words to fit naturally without the panic of pronunciation to fit the space available, yes toms should come up but not sure how to get them vocals to fit nice and smooth within the confines of the rest of the song, that's deffinetly a skill to master, the relentless beat however is the nature of the genre to be honest, I can see how it comes across as perhaps a drop in energy as the lead guitars stop, but I needed to differentiate the intro from the verse and that's all I could think of doing so it just leaves the rythem guitar on its own, apart from adding guitar again not sure what else would help it, the drums all have there own tracks, bit more drum tweaking to be done, I know there's no rush butbive got tons of songs to record and am anxious to here em all without spending loads of time mixing each one, I'm no perfectionist but do want them to sound acceptable to at least year 2000 standards when this genre was relevant, kinda obsolete now, the bands are still doing it just gotta look a bit harder for em

Back