Feedback on my band's new EP

I'm not real good with this genre. Didn't like the drums on the second clip. There was a lot of "clanking" going on. Not sure what the drummer was hitting. On the third clip I'm hearing some pumping on the kick and snare. Hearing more "clanking" on the fourth clip.

On the guitars, my sense tells me they need more high midrange and a little less gain. But for this genre, they're probably OK.

Bass sounded good to me.

Vocals might be a little buried. Not bad, but they're a little too far back to my ear.

Thanks for the feedback, since I have until saturday to revise it I will keep those things in mind, since it is absolutely important to me what other experienced ears say! The "clanking" is the bass doing slap lol

I am not into this kind of music at all, but I'd say the drums are way too loud. And turn up the vocals. The guitar tone sounds good for that kind of music. Are you using ducking compression in the middle of your clip?

I'm using the same compressors overall with small difference of adjustments over each song. Many persons have said that I should bring the vocals up, so I will do it. I realize that the kick is pretty high but it is actually typical of this genre. Thanks to everyone again

Its tough to mix this genre, everything wants to be the loudest thing so it really takes compromise. These clips sound over-produced, everything is so in your face, that nothing is in your face and it sounds messy. The 5th clip sounds OK because there are some breaks. Overall the drums are very distracting, they don't sound natural so that loud clicking just sounds weird. I would soften that kick up and lower it.

you should try being less extreme with the mastering and it might sound better, it's over compressed and sounds thin/weak as a result, to get big sounds use minimal compression. The drums are unusual sounding though, which I liked, and as has been already said the vocals need to be louder...much louder. I think most of the problems here come from the mix stage, but it also sounds like the mastering limiter is pulling everthing down, try backing off the threshold and using less extreme settings.

Back