feedback is a good thing

a_goodlett

hey people i 've been tryin to experiment with incorporating feedback into my playing & to make it sound musically good. how the hell do you do this? do you just turn the amp up really loud so when you take like a half second brake the feedback comes in or what? & also why does feedback happen really well on some notes but not others? later kids

Henrix, the master who was in control of feedback. For someone who can't control it the results can sound terrible; out of control, unless you are one of those bands.

You gotta experiment and use your ears. Get up close to your amp, go behind it; try all you can think and some will work, others won't.

Get some distortion on, then play a note or chord, and put the tip of the headstock against the cabinet-- usually can give you a little more control over what you are doing, but like Krystof said, experiment-- certain angles or distances between you and your speaker will give you different results. Have fun!

Nate

Try using a hollow body electric (especially a deep body) - you won't have to work very hard to get feedback with that setup. It's the bane of my existence (and the main component of my tone...).

:D

Mike

all you do is get your volume and most importantly your gain right up to a setting where you can play fine but if you stop muting it starts to feedback.

perfect use of this is demonstrated by a band called eyehategod

Back