Feedback Freed Track

Irk

Actually, Could I make this work?:
I was working on recording a mandolin part bla bla bla. Anyway, I put an Audio Technica 2020 or whatever the 99 dollar one is called, into the tascam dp o1fx and out of the head phone jack I plugged a guitar amplifier. I played the mandolin to the mic and it also came through the amp bla. It sounded really neat but as soon as I moved to adjust levels or quit playing the feed back ripped my neighbor's ears off . Any thoughts? The sound was good for a second here and there, so I'd like to get it. Blobbidy blah blah bla, shit

Move the amp and microphone as far apart as possible. Is the amp feeding back and adding to the sound you're after or are you just using it to monitor. If just using to monitor, shut it off, and get headphones (You can turn the amp back on when finished recording). If it is part of the effect, you need to adjust the distance between the amp and mic until there is minimal feedback when nothing is being played. Additionally a noise gate (as can be found on many cheap compressors for example, or available as stomp-box for guitars) could be placed after the microphone, so when you're not playing no active signal reaches the amp.

I'd also personally in this situation invest in another mic (or 2). Plug the first mic straight into the amp (or noise gate then amp), this would be for your feedback loop. Plug the second mic into the recorder, and adjust it's position between the mandolin and the amp (Even better would be 2 mics here, 1 at the mandolin and one at the amp, or both setup in a stereo configuration). This way adjusting your recorders level would not affect the feedback.

Back