Fed up with MIDI is USB an answer? Please help!

Kaze

Alright i have a custom built computer with an audiophile 2496, and i have a MOTIF 6. I am useing Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. Sounds great huh? Well its not lol. I cant get any sound at all. I was asked if i had thought of useing USB. Well me being the newbie i am i didnt know you could do that. So i have a few questions:

1. Is USB easier to use than MIDI? If so how much easier?

2. If i was to use USB should i sell the audiophile and get like a SB audigy since i wont need a card to record with?

3. Will Pro Audio 9 let me use USB to record with?

Please help! Thank you!

Are you talking about connecting your Motif via a USB port rather than a MIDI port? (I know some keyboards can be connected this way, but I don't know if the Motif is one.)

All that is is using the USB port to send MIDI messages. It's exactly as easy or difficult to use as any other MIDI interface. The drivers for the Motif allow the computer to use the USB port as the device where the MIDI messages to and from the sequencing software get routed. If the driver is installed properly it should be transparent to the user whether the MIDI messages are coming down a USB cable or a MIDI cable or a serial port or whatever.

The USB port sends MIDI messages only and not audio. So this method would not replace the Audiophile.

There's no reason at all to swap it for an Audigy. If anything, you'll have more trouble trying to make the Audigy work than you will the Audiophile.

AlChuck gave you a GREAT answer. ;)

I have additional questions for you.....

1) What are you trying to accomplish with the Motif and Cake 9??? (by that question, I mean..........

A) are you trying to sync the Motif and Cake 9 together,

B) are you trying to track OUT of the Motif into Cake 9,

C)and/or are you trying to control the Motif from Cake 9??????)

2) What are your computer specs????

3) What do you mean by "I cant get any sound at all." ???????

4) What kind of midi interface are you using?????

5) Is Cake 9 not making the Motif respond?????

6) Do you have Cake 9 set as the MASTER device?????

7) Do you have your MIDI ports assigned in Cake 9????

8) Do you have Cake 9 set to generate MIDI CLOCK??????

9) Do you have LOCAL set to OFF on the Motif?????

10) Does the Motif SLAVE to MIDI CLOCK??????

11) Do you have the Motif set to MIDI CLOCK, not MIDI TIME CODE?????

If you share some more info with us, I'm sure our family here at HR.COM can help you solve your dilema quickly. ;)

Peace...

spin

Kaze said:
.... So i have a few questions:

1. Is USB easier to use than MIDI? If so how much easier?

2. If i was to use USB should i sell the audiophile and get like a SB audigy since i wont need a card to record with?

3. Will Pro Audio 9 let me use USB to record with?...

1. No.
2. No.
3. No. (but.... I am assuming that you are asking can an USB MIDI INTERFACE [dedicated to midi] record audio).

SPINSTERWUN said:
AlChuck gave you a GREAT answer. ;)

I have additional questions for you.....

1) What are you trying to accomplish with the Motif and Cake 9??? (by that question, I mean..........

A) are you trying to sync the Motif and Cake 9 together,

B) are you trying to track OUT of the Motif into Cake 9,

C)and/or are you trying to control the Motif from Cake 9??????)

2) What are your computer specs????

3) What do you mean by "I cant get any sound at all." ???????

4) What kind of midi interface are you using?????

5) Is Cake 9 not making the Motif respond?????

6) Do you have Cake 9 set as the MASTER device?????

7) Do you have your MIDI ports assigned in Cake 9????

8) Do you have Cake 9 set to generate MIDI CLOCK??????

9) Do you have LOCAL set to OFF on the Motif?????

10) Does the Motif SLAVE to MIDI CLOCK??????

11) Do you have the Motif set to MIDI CLOCK, not MIDI TIME CODE?????

If you share some more info with us, I'm sure our family here at HR.COM can help you solve your dilema quickly. ;)

Peace...

spin

#1 I believe the answer is A i am trying to make music with the motif on CW9

#2 aah... comp specs.
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
7200 RPM 40 GB HD
512 MB RAM
Audiophile 2496
MSI Motherboard

#3 With CW9 opened and running, when i strike a key on the motif i get no sound. Through my computer speakers.

#4 I'm useing the breakout cords on the Audiophile.

#5 I dont understand what you are saying. Can you please explain further?

#6 I have no clue. How would i check, and if its not how would i set it?

#7 I am assuming you are talking about the input/output devices on CW9. If so, than yes.

#8 I dont know what that is. But to my knowledge, no.

#9 Yes i do

#10 again i do not know what that is. But i dont believe so

#11 cant answer that either lol...

excuse a curt reply: but have you gone through the tutorials or read the manual in CW as to how to set up and record MIDI? Really, the manual isn't just a paperweight. Tutorials are also designed to get the basics across.

AlChuck said:
I think we might be zoning in on his original problem (which he was hoping to magically sidestep with this thing they call USB)...
I don't think Kaze was trying to "magically sidestep" the problem, so much as to eliminate the MIDI connection as a possible source of trouble. I base this on the fact that it was I who suggested USB to him. :)

Something jumped out at me as I read Kaze's last post:
#3 With CW9 opened and running, when i strike a key on the motif i get no sound. Through my computer speakers.
The sound will come through the Motif's output, not the computer speakers! (Unless you have CW set to use a soft synth, or onboard soundcard synth which plays through the computer's sound hardware, or unless the Motif's output is somehow routed into the computer.) Kaze, have you tried listening to the Motif as you're doing this? If you have the Motif's local control turned "off" and it makes sound as you play it, your MIDI connections are working properly!

DonF

DonF said:
I don't think Kaze was trying to "magically sidestep" the problem, so much as to eliminate the MIDI connection as a possible source of trouble. I base this on the fact that it was I who suggested USB to him. :)
DonF is right i am just trying to find a solution to my problem not take shortcuts

DonF said:

Something jumped out at me as I read Kaze's last post: The sound will come through the Motif's output, not the computer speakers! (Unless you have CW set to use a soft synth, or onboard soundcard synth which plays through the computer's sound hardware, or unless the Motif's output is somehow routed into the computer.) Kaze, have you tried listening to the Motif as you're doing this? If you have the Motif's local control turned "off" and it makes sound as you play it, your MIDI connections are working properly!

DonF

I had no idea lol... I tryed it out a min ago and i am not getting any sound from my headphones. :( What should i do?

Back