FD8 or MD8

Yo Ty of fit to be tied?

The MD-8 is a fairly easy to use box right out of the box. I'm guessing that the Fostex isn't too complicated either but I don't know; you can check that out via the net or from Fostex specs.

The selling price for either unit is about the same, depending who you know and where you buy.

But, you get UNCOMPRESSED digital recording with the Fostex and its "updated" 20 bit converters.

For a few more pezzutos, you can get the 16 track Fostex if you need that many tracks.

The Fostex has an 8.4 gig HD; I don't know what that converts to in time, but probably plenty to do what you need to do. Maybe you need to talk to someone who owns a Fostex. I own the MD-8 and it works for me but, as always, there is better stuff out there if you can avoid buying stuff that has 121 menus to sort through.

Happy shopping & recording

Green Hornet

I figure it's either small and fast (like the MD-8, love it) or all-out orgy (Mackie HDR looks GOOOD. plug a monitor in that baby).

The MD-8 offers removable storage and can record all 8 tracks at once. Check to see if you can get both of those in the FD-8, you may not be able to.

Also, if you're not familiar with digital mixers, stick with the MD-8. I HATE those futhermuckers!

My Million Pesos...

A buddy of mine recently purchased the MD8, and he has had nothing but trouble, mainly with skipping. In fact, he had Yamaha send him another unit--he has the same problem with the new recorder.

I was interested in the MD8, mainly because of the excellent EQ on the MD8. Plus, whenever I recorded with my friend on his MD8, I found the recorder to be extremely user-friendly-- until it would skip in the middle of recording. However, I decided to go with the Fostex DMT-8vl. (I wanted an FD8, but I got a great deal on the DMT. The two seem to be very similar.)

I have had no problems with my Fostex so far. (I've had it a couple of months now.) The only drawback is the limited space of the hard disk recorder, which requires some sort of "backup" device to catalogue your recordings--unless you only plan on recording one or two songs for the rest of your life!!!

Although I have yet to try this myself, the Fostex supposedly allows you not only to save a recording to DAT, but also to load that data back to the recorder from the DAT.
If anyone knows more about this, I would appreciate the advice.

I gotta go with Hornet boy. You are going to out grow either one of them in the turn of a season. I vote you bust over to E-bay and pick up a used Roland VS series

I had to work with 2 synced FD8's once. some guy bought it in to our mix suite. I would advise against it, they're not so easy to use, and the main draw abck is that you can only record 2 tracks at once.

the adat in/out maybe be useful though.

I have an FD-8 and love it. THe ROland Vs- units are going cheap on e-bay, but I tried one out and found it very confusing. I prefer my knobs and sliders on the FD-8. Oh, yeah, get the Zip 250 with it.

Back