FD-4 Recording Inputs Mastering

Phil Barnes

I have moved up to an ADAT, and plan to master through a Mackie board to 2-track on my FD-4. Any thoughts on using the RCA direct recorder inputs to bypass the FD-4 mixer vs. using balanced inputs through the FD-4 mixer? The rest on my gear is balanced, and I would like to use the balanced connection, but I am unsure the degree to which the FD-4 mixer would degredate the signal vs. the unbalanced RCA direct input to the FD-4 recorder. By the way, I have been able to go to PC from the FD-4 via the Fostex adapter and Opcode USB digital in box like somr other have described. Thanks.

First off, none of the FD-4 inputs are balanced. It is one of the shortcomings of this recorder. But don't dispair. Balanced/unbalanced arguments are mainly for long lengths of cable. Signal degadation isn't the concern, RF interference is. So keep your cables short, high grade and be sure they are shielded and you should be fine. I recommend some Monster Cable audio cable for the job. Now, the prefered routing would be to go via the s/pdif optical. I believe it is an input/output device, but check the manual to be sure. But, I doubt the Mackie (unless it is their digital board) has s/pdif i/o so using the RCA jacks on the FD-4 is your most direct routing.

Peace, Jim

Back