Favorite Snare Drum Mic?

DKRecords

The SM57 seems to be the go-to mic for snare recording, and I've used it a number of times with good results. I was just curious if anyone has any other favorite microphones to use on snare drum? Any mics that you like better than the SM57 on snare drum? Thanks!

Audix i5 or e609 for me. I've just recently been using the e609, so I'm not sold on it, but it aint bad and it's very easy to position.

Right now the 57, but I have used the i5 extensively in the past. Haven't tried the e609, although I do own one. Would like to try something else, but can't really justify buying another mic right now.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking into the Audix i5 a bit... it sounds like a nice mic. Do you usually mic snare on top and bottom? That's how I recorded it last time, and I was happy with the results. Do you use the i5 on both top and bottom?

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking into the Audix i5 a bit... it sounds like a nice mic. Do you usually mic snare on top and bottom? That's how I recorded it last time, and I was happy with the results. Do you use the i5 on both top and bottom?

I personally very rarely mic the bottom, and when I do I almost never end up using that track. I position the top mic so I don't need to.

The i5 is great on a guitar cab too. I love 57s, but the i5 is really growing on me.

KM84, If I was to scared to use that I would reach for a 57 though. I've never used an I5 but they also seem good.

I always seem to come back to the SM57, but I have used a Sennheiser 421 and they sound good. I have even tried large condensers on the snare but I don't usually like it, I do use large condensers on the toms a lot.

I have a SM57 that has been modded for snare, the transformer has been removed, this seems to change the frequency range and reduces the volume so that the gain does not need a pad, which often happens with standard 57's on snares. Some have said that the transformer removal reduces the midrange honk of a 57?

I usually mic the bottom of the snare as well but I use a small condenser for this, reverse the phase of this mic. However I record the bottom mic on a separate track and it is not always used, it just depends on the required snare sound and the snare itself.

I also find that a large part of the snare sound also comes from the overheads and the of course the actual room.

Alan.

Just to be different, I like the crisper quality that a small diaphragm condenser gives on snare. My favourite is an AKG 451 EB with a swivel so the mic body can be out of the way with just the head pointing at the top of the snare. However, in their wisdom AKG have decided not to sell these anymore. My go to alternative is the sE1A.

I'll probably put an SM57 on the bottom of the snare but, like I think it was Greg_L who said, I rarely use that track.

I always use the bottom mic. I really don't like not having the snare sound in a snare.

I had to go with one snare mic on a recording out of necessity and hated the end result.

I5 here, they sound good , will not break if you crack one with a stick, and you can usually find used ones for as low as $50.00 at pawn shops.

Wow thanks for all the replies! I too like to use a mic on both top and bottom of the snare, but I'd like to find a better mic for the bottom. I used an SM57 on top last time. I recorded a drum set with just a top snare mic once, but the snare sounded like it didn't have much body to it.

Just to be different, I like the crisper quality that a small diaphragm condenser gives on snare. My favourite is an AKG 451 EB with a swivel so the mic body can be out of the way with just the head pointing at the top of the snare. However, in their wisdom AKG have decided not to sell these anymore. My go to alternative is the sE1A.

I'll probably put an SM57 on the bottom of the snare but, like I think it was Greg_L who said, I rarely use that track.

Been written that my collection of Earthworks microphones are the cat's meow on the snare but ... at the prices of these microphones Am not about to put them any closer to the snare than overhead duty.

Back