Favorite Plugins?

shadow5606

Hey there folks, wondered if any of you are using any particular plugins that you really like and would reccomend?

I'm running Cakewalk Sonar 2.0 and have just been using what it has for the most part.

My most used plugins are EQ & Compression. I'm using the the Timeworks / Sonar XL version of both EQ & Compression. (i.e. Process > Audio Effects > Timeworks > CompressorX (Sonar XL)) and (Process > Audio Effects > Timeworks > Equalizer (Sonar XL))

For Reverb I've been using the Cakewalk FXReverb (i.e. Process > Audio Effects > Cakewalk > FXReverb)

I'm open to any FX you like an think may be better than what I'm using. I'm also open to different FX than I'm using now. Most of the time I'm recording my Taylor acoustic guitar, my voice which is a little low and a little rough. (in a Steve Earle sort or rough way) When I record Bass Guitar I typically run it straight through my board into Sonar.

I'm using Sonar of course and my main mic is a Rode NT1A. I also have Steinberg WaveLab 4.0 which I will sometimes use once I've mixed everything down to a wave file.

Any advice would be great!

Favorite plug-ins (free):

Reverb - GlaceVerb: almost as good as my Waves Reverb. Still can't believe it's free.

Limiter - W1 Limiter. A copy of the Waves L1 I believe. I don't use a limiter that often and when I do I just use a little. I think this is a good plugin.

Compressor - I just use the one that comes with Reaper. Better than I thought it would be. I think the plug-ins in Reaper can actually be downloaded and used within other software. http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2670.html

EQ - Paris EQ. ReaEQ (Reaper's EQ). And the Classic EQ. There's a whole set of good free plugins here (EQ, comp, reverb, delay, chorus, etc): http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

I've only really used 1 good/expensive plug-in and that's the Waves Reverb. Definitely worth the money.

The Timeworks- sometimes comp but almost always the limiter on the master. The Timeworks and Sonitus comp/limiter and eq's, either are great versitle units. UAD comps -less flexible but go for their tones. UAD Pultec.

I think the waves renaissance bundle is pretty good. Reverb, compression and eq all sound pretty nice. It also has a combined channel strip. If you have the reverb it should be a cheaper upgrade to the full bundle.

Kristal 32 track recorder is FREE. It has FREE VST included. Never had a lock up. Still amazed with getting a 32 track Digital recorder for free and it runs great on my very old pc.

I just downloaded Guitar VSt. My first. Its low CPU usage and simple, like an old guitar pedal.
http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

I liked the JCM900 amp. the others were so-so, first impression.
JCM had a great clean tone and the distortion is pretty good. Some of the other simulators reminded me of fuzzy boxes I used over the years..never did like them, so its not the simulator fault, it actually copied the fuzzy mush guitar sound well.

IMO, These free plug-ins are being compared to what I use my POD for.
If it can match it, well.....off to the trading pile the POD will go.

Its all tools to me, and like a tool box, I don't need multiple flathead screwdrivers. One Guitar Direct Simulator fake unit is all I need.

So far, one quick jam recorded and the VST Guitar amp sim, is alright.
Frkn get my Fender Strat and Squire Jazz and all I need is a guitar cable!!!

Back