Favorite Place to Buy Mics?

slobbermonster

What's your favorite store to buy new mics?

Mine is www.bpmmusic.com they always beat the other guys on price. They usually don't have ay prices on their site but if you call them it's pretty surprising how much cheaper they are than GC or most of the other online stores.

Not spamming just wanted to share a good place to get gear.

slobbermonster said:
What's your favorite store to buy new mics?

Mine is www.bpmmusic.com they always beat the other guys on price. They usually don't have ay prices on their site but if you call them it's pretty surprising how much cheaper they are than GC or most of the other online stores.

Not spamming just wanted to share a good place to get gear.

I've never found any place to beat this one:

www.fullcompass.com

But I'll call bpm and ask.....

Sweetwater. If they carry it, I buy it there, even if it's a few bucks more than somewhere else. They take care of their customers, in my experience.

Just one stupid example, even though it isn't studio gear: I wanted a Vox AC15 re-issue about 5 years ago, but it seemed that so many of those amps were lemons. They ended up discontinuing them, as a matter of fact. But I played one in a shop, and it seemed like a perfect studio amp...low wattage, master volume, Line Out, etc, great classic AC30 type tones, but better for recording. But even the shop model had a crazy rattle when you turned it up.

So I called the guy who handles my business at Sweetwater(that's another thing, you deal with the same guy all the time, they assign your account to an actual person) and asked him about it. He called the amp tech down in the basement or whatever, and the guy pulled one from stock, opened it up, tested all the solder joints and tube sockets, put rubber washers on the reverb tank to prevent the rattle, junked the crap Chinese tubes and put in matched and tested Electro-Harmonix tubes, and generally made sure it was solid. That amp is my workhorse, played every day for 5 years without a single problem. If you ask around, 9 out of 10 times people will say that model was unreliable junk.

With the exception of cable and connectors(markertek rules on that), pretty much everything in my studio came from Sweetwater, unless it was something they just don't carry, which is rare.

And no, I don't work for them. :p

Yeah...Sweetwater has my vote too.

I've never bought from them but have talked with a coupla guys and was totally impressed with how they handled my questions,
and the second guy I talked to refered me back to the 1st guy. Didn't try to snag a commission and still took some time with me on mics etc...
I was impressed with how they tried to take care of me even tho I haven't spent any $$$ with em................yet.

So, now I'm saving for my C4's and a couple of others ... :D

I agree with Corso. S.W. wil actually SERVICE you.
Not like the children they have running GC :mad:

That said, the first place I turn for ANY gear is EBAY :D

I have bought from SW, Fullcompass, Ebay, MF, Partsexpress, etc.

And for the big things I keep coming back to Fullcompass, as a bonus they are local to us, my wife works 1-2 miles from them, and when I want something Joel Dennis takes care of us pretty good. Now I did buy my wharfedales from proaudio direct, but fullcompass doesn't carry them.

Zetajazz44 said:
Never bought mics from Humbucker Music, but they did me right on a RNC a little over a year ago... I'll have to check out their mics!

I bought a Studio Projects B3 from him and i was very happy with the deal... the mic arrived fast too.

I buy most of my mics from Atlas Pro Audio or Mercenary, though I use Sweetwater & Full Compass for some brands as well (especially when they have B-stocks or demos ). My collection of mics is closing in on the $100,000 mark this month....

the used forum here and the used forum at gearslutz

*edit...just realized that he asked new...er...oops...these are great for used stuff though...*

Jacob

its a pain to get prices from sweetwater. then they make you wait for you specific sales guy. all i want is a price quote! about 2 years ago i called for a mic pre and played along stupid. after a half hour the guy steered me into a avalon 737. i told him i was new at recording and needed a mic pre. sounded like the guy was a know it all 17 year old.is this the right advice for a beginner that plays and records hard core punk?

Well, i don't remember how it was when I first called them...but now, I call this one dude, or email him any questions. Easy. I mean, I know the guy's kids' names, y'know?

Back