Favorite Guitar Sounds of All Time

Absolutepower

What are your favorite recorded guitar sounds of all time.
here are a few.
Under the bridge by the Chilis
Black Dog, and Led Zeppelin's entire first album.
I also like the sound on that song "bang bang, you shot me down"

David Gilmour on Dark Side of the Moon
Richie Blackmore on In Rock
Brian May on Night at the Opera
Andrew Lattimer - Mirage

The guitar solo on Natalie Merchant's 'Carnival'
solo on Trapeze's 'Will Our Love End'
Steely Dan - Don't take me Alive, Reelin' In The Years, What A Shame About Me
Slide on Maria Muldaur's 'Midnight AT The Oasis'
Eagles - Hotel California (mostly Felder's sound), I Can't Tell You Why (again Felder)
Black Crowes - acoustic intro to 'Talks To Angels', Hard To Handle, Jealous Again
The Faces - Stay With Me
most of the early Allman Bros, both Duane and Dickey

the list goes on forever...

China Grove - Doobie Brothers
Kid Charlemagne - Steely Dan (Larry Carlton)
Reelin in the Years - Steely Dan
Say Anything (super dry Orange Rockerverb sound)
Brad Paisley (guilty pleasure...a little embarrassing)
Back in Black - AC/DC
Anything Queen or Led Zepplin is awesome too usually.

tons of others I can't think of now...

David Gilmour on Dark Side of the Moon
Brian May on Night at the Opera
Andrew Lattimer - Mirage

Yeah great taste. Ritchie's tone was so damn edgy on In Rock, he just switched to Strats from Gibson, which is a weird thing for me to say that he got edgier tone.

Gilmour and May I think consistently have fantastic tone, I don't think its just limited to those albums in particular.

I've always been a fan of George Harrison's tone from about Revolver on. It has this nice round edge to it, without any mud but with lots of power.

the list goes on forever...
You may just live to regret this thread ! I hear lots of guitar sounds that I think are fantastic and each time I'm listening to one or one comes to my rememberance, I just might pop into this thread.
It's more constructive than famous Dave, anyway.

solo on Trapeze's 'Will Our Love End'
On that album, I love the late Mel Galley's guitar sound generally but especially on "Keepin' time" and on "Medusa" tracks like "Jury", "Touch my life" and "Makes you wanna cry". I think he was one of the more criminally underrated British heavy rock guitarists, along with Tonka Chapman, Manny Charlton and Fast Eddie Clark.

Gilmour and May I think consistently have fantastic tone
May and Gilmour were the first heavy guitarists I ever took note of; even at 12 May's guitar playing on "Bohemian rhapsody" was notable, both the heavy riffing after the operetta and the solo that leads into it.
Because listening to "A saucerful of secrets" quite simply changed my musical headspace when I was 16, David Gilmour's playing {and I guess Syd Barrett's too} was, unbeknownst to me at the time, the open portal to a sonic universe that I journeyed into and have never really left or recovered from.
Ritchie's tone was so damn edgy on In Rock, he just switched to Strats from Gibson.
Just after hearing the first two Pink Floyd albums had whetted my appetite and caused an interest that was the most musically significant one I ever succumbed to, I got "Shades of deep purple", their first, and "Fireball". I love "Shades", one of the best 5 debuts I've heard. But I've always found Ritchie Blackmore's tone on that album really tinny, metallic and thin. I love all of his playing on the LP but sonically, I think the sound is pretty lame. It's a good thing the songs are so outstanding. By "In rock" and "Fireball", to superb songs had been added a sonic onslaught, guitar wise, that overwhelmed me and 30+ years later, still does. I can't think of anyone that got sounds like Blackmore back in those days.
But there are many great ones. I really dig Jan Akkerman's sound on Focus' single, "Sylvia", Paul Kennedy of Salad hit some wonderful tones on "Drink the elixir" and "Kiss my love", Eric Clapton weighs in with some wild sounds on the "Live Cream" and "Live Cream 2" versions of "Sweet Wine" and "Sunshine of your love", I like John McLaughlin's tones on some of the "Extrapolation" album and most of Mahavishnu Orchestra's first three LPs {"Inner mounting flame", "Birds of fire" and "Between nothingness and eternity"} and some of the next two {"Apocalypse" and "Visions of the emerald beyond"}, not to mention his blistering work on Lifetime's "To whom it may concern" and especially "Vuelta Abajo".
People used to rave about Al DiMeola but for me, he never stood a chance following Bill Connors in Return to forever. Connors is generally known for his acoustic stuff but his heavy rocking tone on the "Hymn of the 7th galaxy" album demonstrated the way in which {like McLaughlin before him} a loud electric rock inflected jazzer could be a dangerous and breathtaking weapon.
I also liked Steve Jones of the Sex pistols' guitar sounds. Simple, raw, overlayed with more simple and raw !

Where will this all end ? ! !

It seems most people agree that there's a certain sound right at the late 60s/early 70s that seems to be superior. I think along with the amazing musicians back then, like Clapton and the rest, it was the special combination of gear they were using along with those old tape machines which had a distinctive sound to them. I have an issue of sound on sound where they talk about Slash's latest album, and the actually used one of those old tape machines. The thing is, they only used it on drums, bass and rhythm guitar and then afterwards it was all digitally smashed to hell for loudness.
For me, tape is just too much of a damn PIA to bother with.

It seems most people agree that there's a certain sound right at the late 60s/early 70s that seems to be superior.
I wouldn't say that. It's just that I listen to so much music from that era, it follows that the guitar sounds from then would be uppermost in my head {although Salad aren't from then, they're from the 90s}. If I thought long and hard about it, it might be more spread out. Also, that was the period where the guitar sound was being liberated, expanded and 'abused' and there was alot of experimenting being done to be different. There was alot of shitty guitar sounds then too. Some real fuzzy shit.
Wish 14 here does a song I like called "The beach". I think it's a great piece and though the guitar playing in it (the rhythm guitar) by pro tone standards is no great shakes, I absolutely love the sound of it. For me, it's a tone to kill for. I guess the sounds one likes are directly proportionate to songs or bands one likes. And as Robin in NYPD Blue once said, "You love who you love".

I've heard great tone throughout the ages, I remember seeing Jethro Tull in 2007. Martin Barre was definitely using a different rig than what he was using in the 70's, but damn he had one of the best tones I have ever heard at that concert (forgot to mention it in my last post). Even with some modern-day superstrat style guitar, it sounded killer.

I think great tone came about in the late 60's/early 70's, but people still have it today.

A few more as they occur to me; I don't know the name of the player but I love the guitar on Strangelove's "Time for the rest of your life", Carlos Santana's playing on their first album, specifically stuff like "You just don't care", "Soul Sacrifice" and in particular, "Jingo". I really like Hugh Cornwell of the Stranglers guitar sound on the "No more heroes" album. Sitting alongside that would be Jean Jacques Burnel's bass sound on the same album. The sounds that Little purple circles get on "A measure of salt" and particularly, "Shake hands" are textbook examples in my mind of how it's often impossible to separate the guitar sound from the actual song. I like the sounds Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top got on the "Tres hombres" album and Hendrix's "Purple haze" sound on the woodstock album. It's so exciting. Another Texan guitarist with a sound I dug was Dave Mitchell of Josefus who put in some really raw but sparky playing on their "Dead man" and "Get off my case" albums. On Wishbone Ash's "Argus" album, the penultimate track, "Warrior" has one of my favourite guitar sounds, right at the start. Not sure if it's played by Ted Turner or Andy Powell. I like their sounds generally but "Warrior" was always one of my mental templates. Sometimes it's important to start a song with a good guitar sound and Dick Taylor of the Pretty Things does just that right at the start of "S.F. Sorrow is born". It's the guitar sound that I'd have to have on a desert island. Not that it would be much use to me there, but it's so distinctive. As is Keith Richards' one on "Street fighting man", recorded into a cheap cassette and of course it overloaded. He then fed the overloaded guitar into an 8 track and they took it from there. It's a mesmeric sound.
This is getting ridiculous ! I like guitars so there are hundreds of sounds I love. It would actually be easier to list the guitar sounds that I don't like....

Duncan/Cippolina - Quicksilver Messenger Service s/t and Happy Trails
Adrian Belew - in general when he makes the guitar sound like a gorilla
Paul Leary - Butthole Surfers' Locust Abortion Technician
Andy Gill - Gang of Four's Entertainment!

I've always loved Jerry Garcia's tone on the Live/Dead album. I don't know what the heck happened to his taste in tone in subsequent years but I can't stand his thin, nasally guitar tone after about 1970 or so.

I like the guitar tone on the song Stop, by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, from Take Them On, On Your Own. It's one of the few in-your-face mixes I like, and the guitars really roar.

It's hard not to like the 70's vibe Sabbath-style guitars on Don't Run Our Hearts Around by Black Mountain.

And while I'm not much of an AC/DC fan, how can you not like Angus Young's SG-into-a-cranked-Marshall tone?

Oh, and Mike Bloomfield's Tele-into-a-cranked-Twin tone on The Paul Butterfield Blues Band's stuff is sublime also.

Back