Fav Backup Singing songs

BillyFurnett

Anyone have favorite songs with great backup singing/ harmonizing in it?

A few of mine are:

The Beatles- "She came in through the bathroom window"
(I like the way the backups "Swell" in the mix.)

Paul McCartny- "Silly Love songs"
(I like the song alot for some reason and dig all the different things going on in it instrument wise... I like the harmony arrangment.)

Gladys Night & the Pips- "Midnight train to Georgia"
(The backups are kind of over the top, but I'm down with the over all soul vibe the song has...I like it alot.)

:)

Almost anything by the Cars. The song which comes first to mind is "Tonight she comes" which is odd because it is from their second to last "Greatest Hits" album. They use a lot of air in their backing vocals and perhaps they are flattening notes as well. Great sound! :cool:

Crowded House has it down in spades. Especially Woodface, the album with Neil's brother Tim Finn: Neil and Tim are second to none when it comes to harmony

Three favorite albums come to mind;

1) "Lady Soul"-Aretha
2) "Elvis in Memphis"
3) "Dusty in Memphis"

All three had the...
Sweet Inspirations backing them-awesome!

So MANY others like Mamas & Pappas, etc.

Chris

P.S. An incredible harmony track is "Pretty Girl",
by the Easybeats.

I hear you on the Elvis!
I like the pop stuff like "Don't be cruel" & "Return to sender".
Incredible sounds going on in his stuff.

There's new information coming to light that Elvis was against doing vocal overdubs. Instead, on many of his hits, they were sung "live" in the studio with the other musicians present.

Other great popular singers like Sinatra and Crosby preferred that too BTW.

He used the Electro-Voice EV RE15 and RE16 for vocals a lot BTW.
Sometimes the EV 635a also.

Chris

The Darkness - Growing on me and I believe in a thing called love. The lead singer has a great voice, but those backup vocals really make the song for me.

Ladies and gentelmen...

...the Queen

Difficult to pick ones... they were so great on almost every song!!!

;)
Jaymz

Anything involving the Pips - especially Gladys' version of Grapevine

Anything by the Shangri-Las - but just cos they're so campy

Stones - Gimme Shelter

Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side

Most of the Stuff on Shelby Lynne's "I Am" (missed her in DDetroit last night - damn that Distler!!!)

Temptation's My Girl

Martha & Vandellas - Heat Wave

Any project involving Chaka Khan (mmm... Chaka... ), especially Winwood's Higher Love

Boz Scaggs' I'll Be Long Gone

Joe Cocker's A Little Help From My Friends (not the Woodstock version - ewww!) and Bye Bye Blackbird

Anything by the Rascals

REM - Shiny Happy People (B52s on backups) and the Sesame Street version - Furry Happy Monsters

Hey Daf,

I was gonna go check out Shelby Lynn today as a matter of fact (Caught her on the moring news jamming), but I fell asleep!!!

Man she/they are good.... So smooth and killer tones on all the instruments.

Back