Fat Jazz guitar sound ?

ustadjohnny

Hi,
I play an Epiphone Les Paul100 thru 4 boss pedals(Compressor,od, chorus, dd3) into a midget park Marshall (10 watts I think) Is there anyway I can Get a fat jazz guitar sound thru mic placement and using multiple mics ? usually I use 2 57s one right close to the speaker cone (More towrds the edge) and the other about 2feet back. Suggestions please ?

Yes, there is a way you can get the tone you're looking for. Keep experimenting you'll discover it.

John., try using the neck position pick up and edge off the tone control on your guitar just a bit. Boost the mids with the EQ on your amp and try a little chorus effect with more of the signal on the dry side. Also use some delay. You need to vairy the amount of delay to your taste or match it to the tempo at witch you are playing. A trick that works well somtimes is to set the repeat high and the delay time mid to low. This should produce a reverb like sound. I now the sound you are tring to get and it's probally driving you crazy because it 's so elusive. Just keep experiminting with equipment you have and have fun with it..... Listen to Tal Farlow and even though this next guy I list is blues, he has a great jazz sound with some overdrive- J. Giles with Magic Dick. The name of thier band is "Blues Time". But of course, Giles "is" playing a 40's Gibson......

defintly roll that tone knob back - a lot I'd say (but hey I'm playing a tele these days) The tone your after has to come from you guitar, a lot from your attack (try your thumb), and your rig has to comply too. It might be kinda hard with what you've got, but if that tone is in your head then you can defintly get at it.

-jhe

Thanks a ton Daddy-o, James HE & hixmix
But zee problem iz when I roll back my tone knob, it starts booming too much ! I'm from India and my band (WHich plays Latin-Jazz) is going into tthe studio real soon. And being poor fellas we don't have too much time to experiment. Anyway, I'll give it my best shot. Thanks a ton folks and this is one cool site ! When we have MP3s up on our site I'll let you know.
Peace and harmony

Try this:
1. Plug straight in to the amp - bypass the pedals. You can add reverb at the board when mixing.
2. Leave the tone control on full treble.
3. Use the pickup closest to the neck.
4. Turn the guitar volume down to about 7.5

or, for more of an Eric Gale-type sound, do 1 and 2 above, plus:

3. Use both pickups.
4. Use the volume controls to give you the tone you like.

Hope this helps.

foo

Foo is correct in my humble opinion. Most of the old-timers I know who grew up playing in jazz bands, play with the volume on the front pickup rolled back to around 6 or 7 (typical gibson humbucker type of guitar). Also try rolling back on the tone to around 4 or so. Todays pickups have wayyy tooo much gain for jazz. Rolling back on the volume mellows them out considerably.

Back