Fat Jazz guitar sound ? (I have too many questions)

ustadjohnny

Hi,
I play an Epiphone Les Paul100 thru 4 boss pedals(Compressor,od, chorus, dd3) into a midget park Marshall (10 watts I think) Is there anyway I can Get a fat jazz guitar sound thru mic placement and using multiple mics ? usually I use 2 57s one right close to the speaker cone (More towrds the edge) and the other about 2feet back. Suggestions please ?

Hi! I play a DeArmond hollow body with f-holes and have gotten a nice 'fat jazz guitar' sound by recording direct to my console via an effects processor (Zoom GFX-707). I've also heard that using a delay effect set at just a millisecond of delay will create the impression of two guitars and/or stereo effect. I haven't tried it yet.

>usually I use 2 57s one right close to the speaker cone (More towrds the edge) and the other about 2feet back.

A couple things come to mind.

First, are you pleased with the sound of your guitar rig when you sit in front of it? If so, then you've narrowed your options down a lot, since your lack of "phatness" lies downstream from your speaker.

If, on the other hand, you're not pleased with your "live" sound, you should work at getting a sound you like in person before you work on getting it onto tape.

Secondly, with two mics, you have to make sure they're in phase with each other. If they're out of phase, you can get some pretty weird, thin, nasely sounds coming out of your monitors.

Basically, close-micing with a single 57 on the speaker and monitoring it with the board EQ flat should yield a sound that's at least in the same ballpark as what you hear sitting in front of the amp.

From there, as suggested, mic placement can yield dramatic results. I wouldn't complicate things with two mics until you've exhausted the experimental possibilities with one mic. You aren't running stereo, so what's the point?

Good luck!

Charles Thomas

[This message has been edited by CharlesThomas (edited 05-30-2000).]

Yo UstadJOHHNY:

Yeah, man, I "usta" play a lot of gigs using a stomach Steinway....back in Chi town.

As to your question: you need a REVERB box that has a bunch of patches; also, the box must be programmable; then, you can edit any patch and CREATE YOUR OWN PFFFFATTTT SOUND. I just recorded a bluesy thing called BUDDA-BOOM BUDDA-BING, and the lead is guitar from a DX-7 patch which is souped-up by my Reverb unit which is tweaked on my MD-8 and finally winds up on tape. Yeah, experiment with delays....but you need a reverb box. [I'm not sure from your description of goodies if you use one] But, as mentioned in another post, EXPERIMENT, EXPERIMENT, EXPERIMENT, kind of like the best rules for buying a house: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

Enjoy,

Green Hornet

[This message has been edited by The Green Hornet (edited 05-30-2000).]

Back