Fast Metallica Cover

CrankyOne

Before I release the last month song I thought I'd squeeze this in...

Here's a cover of the Metallica song "Dyers Eve":

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1454&alid=-1

Thank god for copy & paste :D Also, I had to downtune my guitar. The vocal range of the original was a tad too high for me. It still sounds wimpy though.

The quality is only 128 kbps, and I know the solo isn't exactly the best. Still... comments about the mix or something.

Hey Crank the skank! How's it hanging?? :D

Man, it's good to cue up something by you. Dammit, you just keep getting better and better. Your drums (while obviously still samples) are damn good. And there's your voice! Sweet!

I don't care what you think about your voice. I love it. Keep adding your vocs, man. They rock!!

(The drums give themselves away in the section before you begin singing on a few of the slower tom-tom rolls).

Not being as familiar with all the older Metallica stuff.... Man... I gotta play this for my brothers... the Metallica fiends. They'd probably jizz on the spot ;)

On the solo... seems like it's buried under your drums/cymbals... some EQ tweaks & a level bump?

Excellent mix. Your speed metal guitar playing really kicks ass. You've come along way. Great job. (BTW yeah Lars wishes he could drum like that! :D ;))

Chad

Crankin'!

Only mix nit picks I got is the guitars could use a bit more mids, and your vocal could use some fattening/space. Have you ever tried double-tracking your vocals?

Performance is great as usual. Another one for my Cranky folder.:)

Good job, i hadn't listened to Justice in quite a while one of my favorite albums thanks for bringing back many good memories.

Hey Cranky,
....another cool one man. A little vocal fattening was mentioned above. I agree w/ that. ....something to give em a little more size and fidelity. The guitars kick ass as they usually do. And, as usual, the playing is very tight and on the money.

cool one man!! g

yes, as mentioned, you do very well in the guitar sound, drum sound, tight playing departments.

your voice sounds 'very young' in this particular song, and gives the impression of some "very young, kick ass band, that knows their stuff" playing covers, but until their voice "matures" they're stuck with just kicking ass on their instruments.

cool deal. That tight tracking is always very impressive. Almost scary.. I watched the low end real close, I like where you rolled it off and kept the mud out, with that bein so thick with guitar. It let the drum kit come out real nice. Folder item....

M. Brane said it all...

But errrrrrrrr...........hey, this is your chance to make the bass sound good! (as opposed to sucky suck suckin' - argh - fuckin' suck bass sound on And Justice). Did you even record bass? Is it synth bass? :eek: :D

Turn it up! More bass please!

*sorry, common bassplayers frustation*

Vocals could use some more effects, reverb or a short delay. Not sure. It sounds a bit too dry (for my taste at least)

Great playing though! Enjoyable listen!

ass kickin'! this has always been one of my favorite metallica songs.. awesome job my friend.. great guitar and the drums are killer..

I have to look extra hard to find things to complain about..

The beginning toms don't sound the best and the vocal sound is a bit dry sounding.. Your guitars always sound great even though they sound the same on every song.. Not crazy about the high hat sound..

Your held to a higher standard than most so I'm trying to be extra picky but I'm coming up short.. I have to admit it's strange hearing this song sung with such a strong accent.. :D

I agree with participant.. It's great to cue something up by you.. Your voice is getting stronger with every new song..

5 stars Crankasaur! Keep em comin'!

Hey, thank you all for the nice comments :D I never hear the accent myself. Not that easily anyway :D Oh well, it's no surprise. I listened and I agree about the toms in the beginning. I'm not sure if it's a good idea for me to try singing some of these songs where the original vocalist is considered somewhat of an icon :D

In a couple of weeks I'll be moving to an apartment so I doubt I can sing anything there. I did sing some vocal lines for a few cover songs just in case I can't later on so you WILL hear that 12-year old sounding guy trying to sing :D:D

Damn your sound is awesome. I want your drum samples. :)

The guitars sound superb too as always.

Justice was probably one of the driest metal productions of all time, but I think the vocal could use a little reverb to blend it with the rest of the mix.

Fucking outstanding guitar playing.

Tom

Good cover, the rythym guitars were totally tight and well executed. The solo was not really there much except in the slower section. But that is a really hard solo to execute properly. The vocals sounded way too dry and the delivery for this song was pretty weak. This song needs a bit more angst in the vocal department. But over all very well done. Those were a couple of things i noticed that stuck out to me. Keep the metal coming.

Pedullist said:
hey, this is your chance to make the bass sound good! (as opposed to sucky suck suckin' - argh - fuckin' suck bass sound on And Justice). Did you even record bass? Is it synth bass? :eek: :D
!
Well, it's a Justice cover isn't it? ;)

Dude, listening to this made me remember why I love Metallica. That trash they have on the radio these days gets me so upset I can hardly take it. How long did it take you to program those damn Drums? Wow. I just don't have that kind of patience. Awesome guitar playing. I haven't heard this tune forever. I used to get off on this shit
"Dear Mother, Dear Fathe-er!!!!"
Awesome.

SLuiCe said:
Damn your sound is awesome. I want your drum samples. :)

The guitars sound superb too as always.

Justice was probably one of the driest metal productions of all time, but I think the vocal could use a little reverb to blend it with the rest of the mix.

Fucking outstanding guitar playing.

Tom

Thanks. I was thinking of adding more reverb to the vocals (yes, there is SOME reverb on it :D ) but I guess I went for the "copy the original sound as much as you can" method :D There also should be more bass audible than on the original, but it could be that only *I* hear it since I mixed it and knew HOW to hear them or whatever :D And the drums are MINE I tell you! MINE! :D:D

Analytical Man said:
Good cover, the rythym guitars were totally tight and well executed. The solo was not really there much except in the slower section. But that is a really hard solo to execute properly. The vocals sounded way too dry and the delivery for this song was pretty weak. This song needs a bit more angst in the vocal department. But over all very well done. Those were a couple of things i noticed that stuck out to me. Keep the metal coming.

I kinda forgot how fucking hard the solo was until I realised I'd have to try playing it. I tried to stumble through it somehow. I hope the song is SO fast nobody would notice the crappy solo attempt :D The vocals, yeah... my lungs can't handle the Hetfield impression. I don't know WHAT it is, but definitely not remotely like him :D

mbuster said:
Well, it's a Justice cover isn't it? ;)

Dude, listening to this made me remember why I love Metallica. That trash they have on the radio these days gets me so upset I can hardly take it. How long did it take you to program those damn Drums? Wow. I just don't have that kind of patience. Awesome guitar playing. I haven't heard this tune forever. I used to get off on this shit
"Dear Mother, Dear Fathe-er!!!!"
Awesome.

Thanks. I always liked the thrashier ones more although I DO like some of the mellow stuff too. The drum programming took some hours. I didn't count but usually it's from 2 to 5 hours. It's hard to tell since it's not done all at once. I usually copy a simple beat and then start tweaking the tracks. Usually I also change some parts before the final mixdown.

Back